Chapter 6: Just Stop The Car!

-Violet-

When I walked onto the fifth floor Monday morning, everyone was crowded by the bulletin board. I dropped my bag by my desk and joined the others. "What's going on?" I asked Rob standing next to me.

"Dinner party at the main mans house this Friday." He answered.

"Mr. Roedan?"

"That would be him."

My heart was thudding hard against my chest and my stomach was in knots. I walked away from the crowd and sat at my desk. A dinner party? And why were the interns invited? I don't have anything to wear to a dinner party. How do you even act at a dinner party?

I'm tragic.

But it's okay, I have until Friday to figure it out. I'm sure I will, I figure everything out. Well, except a problem on a math test I had last week...

I looked at James's office and he had his doors open. He usually did unless he had to make phone calls. He was sitting at his desk, scribbling down on papers with his other hand plastered against his forehead. I wonder if it's safe to call James a friend after last Thursday. Even if he is my boss, I think it is safe. There are people that are friends with their bosses. There's nothing wrong with friendship.

Cristin sauntered down the center of the two rows of desks, swinging her hips as she always does. The pencil skirt she decided to wear today looked two sizes too small and same with the blouse. She walked into James's office and he looked up. I couldn't hear what they were saying, not that I really wanted to.

Just as James was standing, Cristin closed the doors to his office.

I ignored the thoughts in my head and did work on the computer. I really wanted to work somewhere else today. Last week I got to work in the mail department. It may sound boring as hell, but it was really fun. And the people there are a lot of fun. They're always laughing, but keep to their work. A desk job isn't for me, but I'll do whatever I have to.

A few minutes later, his office doors opened again. Cristin walked out and James followed her. As they walked down the center, James came to a stop at my desk. I was a bit surprised and I think he noticed because he chuckled lightly. "Why did the bicycle fall over?" He asked in a small whisper.

"Why?"

"Because it was two-tired."

It took me a second and I slowly smiled.

James walked off and followed Cristin into the elevator.

* * *

At lunch, everyone left except James. He was still sitting in his office. I felt like a complete idiot just staring, but I couldn't help it. When he was concentrating too hard, his forehead would wrinkle and his lips would slightly part.

He dropped the pen down and I looked away too quickly.

I pretended to read when I heard his footsteps.

"Not hungry?"

"I've eaten two bags of candy in the past hour." I closed my book and caught his icy gaze, "I think if I eat anything else I'll probably explode."

"That would be a mess." His lips curved, "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Not at all." I answered before my mind could even process what he asked.