Chapter 35: I Fell In Love With You After

Song: Follow You by Bring Me The Horizon

-------------------------

-James-

My mom brought me a cup of tea and then proceeded to sit down across from me. She was still acting odd, but I knew why. I didn't want to tell Violet about their mini-affair. I'm not even sure you can call it that because it only happened one time...that I know of anyway. Yep, not a thought I needed.

"Tell me what's going on," I said softly.

She looked tired. Way too tired. "You already know, James."

"That doesn't make me feel better."

"I'm trying to move on. I just need time."

"You were already moved on and then he opened up old wounds." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I didn't want to be harsh with my mom, but she needed to hear it. "He's...he's not coming back."

"I know," She said quickly. "I knew life before him and I'll know life without him. I've known for three years. And this recent...encounter wasn't entirely his fault. It was mutual."

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't want to know the details."

That actually made her laugh. "You remind me so much of him." She saw my expression and then quickly added, "The good parts of him."

"I wouldn't do what he did," I told her. "I'm a better person than he is and I know that."

She smiled and nodded. "I know, but you have had your fair share of breaking hearts." She eyed me.

I let out a small laugh. "Unfortunately, I have. But I've also had my heart broken. I guess I deserved that."

She shook her head. "No one deserves to have their heart broken, but it's also important not to fear a broken heart. Life is too short to be afraid to give your heart to someone else, knowing they'd probably put it in a blender later."

I couldn't help but snort.

"Do you love Violet?" She asked suddenly and sat her mug down on the coffee table.

"A lot," I replied. "I'm not scared of breaking her heart, because I know it would never happen."

"Good," she said. "What about your heart?"

"It's hers," I said without hesitation. "I'd give it to her again if I could."

My mom smiled. "Treat her right, James. And she better treat you right too."

My cheeks burned. "We take care of each other, Mom, no worries about me getting a broken heart and definitely no worries about her getting a broken heart. At least not from me."

It didn't go beyond me that my mom changed the subject from my dad. She didn't want to talk about it and she was stealthy when it came to steering us away from the topic. "Maybe you guys can come over for dinner tonight. I'd love the company." She looked around the house that was once ours. "This house is too big and empty."

"Maybe you should've kept your apartment," I commented.

She shrugged. "I never could imagine living anywhere else and I still can't. This house is still home to me."