Chapter 19: Let Me Be Here

-James-

I woke up actually excited to go to work today.

After the day I spent with Violet on Tuesday, everything just felt...right. Everything with Violet was right and I couldn't explain it.

I showered, dressed, fed Chaos, and left for work.

When I got there, first I went up to check in with my dad to see if he needed help with anything right away. The only thing he told me was that he'd need me in an hour.

So I used that hour to go down to the tenth floor to search for Violet.

I walked through the tenth floor and to my mom's office. Her doors were open and the first place I looked was to Violet's desk. It looks like it hasn't even been touched this morning. Every time I've been in here, her desk has been scattered with papers.

But it was empty.

"Hey, have you seen Violet around? More computer problems."

Mom only glanced at me before going back to her computer work. "She actually resigned this morning."

Resigned? Why would she do that? "That's strange." I stuffed my hands in my pockets, "Did she say why?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Just said that she's very sorry and she had to quit. I tried talking to her, but she just kept saying sorry. Then she hung up."

Please don't tell me she quit because of me.

But it's her last day here and we talked about that. She wouldn't do that without talking to me first, I know Violet. There's something wrong.

Something really wrong.

My heart lodged itself in my throat and my breath stopped for a second.

I left my mom's office without saying another word. Leaving right now is probably a stupid idea. But as I entered the elevator, I pulled out my phone and dialed her house number.

No answer.

Then I tried to call her mom's phone.

No answer.

What I'm doing is completely idiotic, but I didn't care. I felt it in my chest. Something wasn't right, which means something is obviously wrong.

Or maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions. I'm just too worried to even think straight and I need to know she's okay. So I left instead.

Yeah, real logical.

I did my best not to speed. Key words being I did my best not to. But with the panic fluttering in my chest, I think I did fine. When I got to Violet's house, there weren't any cars in the driveway. That doesn't mean she's not here though.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I hurried to pull it out.

Hoping to see Violet's number, I saw my dad's. I sent it to voicemail without hesitation then climbed out of my car. I continued my trek up the driveway, and down the small path to the front door.

My heart was beating too hard again and I wish it would slow down. But it only picked up speed when I rang the doorbell. While I waited, I put a hand over my chest to cover the small ache. Why was this happening? I'm sure she's fine and I'm just overreacting as always.