Chapter 32: I'm Still Here, Vi.

-Violet-

"We need to leave," I murmured with my eyes shut. "I still need to go home and get ready."

I felt James's chuckle vibrate against the bare skin of my back. "We still have a few hours, Vi." He kissed the center of my spine slowly. "I'd rather appreciate you instead." He dragged his bottom lip up and over my shoulder blades.

I couldn't stop my smile from spreading and my cheeks from burning. "I guess I wouldn't object."

James leveled his lips over the top of my shoulder and gently bit down.

A gasp escaped my lips.

He kissed the side of my neck before burying his face against it. He hummed against my skin and I felt chills down my back, all the way down to my toes. "Sure you want to go?" He asked, nudging his face further into my neck.

I laughed lightly and turned my head so I was face-to-face with him. "I'm not too sure of anything right now," I admitted.

His pale blue eyes lit up. "Then maybe we should just skip my dad's Christmas party and just stay here. We can cuddle and watch cheesy Christmas movies. I don't care as long as I'm with you."

"Your dad is expecting us," I said softly. "Why can't we just come back here after? We can still do all of that."

James's smile faltered a little. "That defeats the whole purpose."

"Are you guys still not talking?" I reached forward and placed a hand on his cheek. "James—"

"I don't want to talk about it," He grumbled.

Instead of answering, I pulled him close and kissed his lips tenderly. He responded and kissed me back. "If you don't want to go, James, we won't go. But avoiding your dad isn't going to make the problem go away."

"We'll go," He whispered against my lips. "I don't want to stay long."

"That's fine," I replied. "It'll be okay."

"You think so?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I think so."

* * *

James wasn't happy about arriving at his dad's, but he got out of the car anyway and walked to my side to open my door. He offered me his hand and I accepted before lifting myself out of the car and closing the door behind me.

As James started walking, I pulled him back to me. "Come here."

In one swift motion, I brought his lips down to mine. His hand slid to the nape of my neck, holding me in place. "Thank you," He muttered against my lips.

I smiled and kissed him once more before dragging him inside.

People were everywhere. Some I recognized from work and then others I didn't know at all. I spotted Claire, surprisingly, close to the fireplace with a glass of red wine, talking to an older woman. They were both smiling, so that's a start.

David was only a few feet away with Sara attached to his arm. He was next to a bunch of men I didn't recognize.

"They're from the board in New York," James whispered in my ear. "Harmless to you, but in a few years I'll be their boss."

I stifled a laugh.

James placed a hand on my lower back and steered me towards his dad. When David noticed us, his face lit up. "James!" Sara let go of his arm long enough for David to greet his son. "I didn't think you were coming."