Chapter 2: Who Is That?

-James-

The next day, I was finally given an office on the fifth floor. It was the biggest office and I was left in charge. Clearly there wasn't anyone on this floor because it was reserves specifically for the interns.

Today I had to make phone calls to the ten lucky people. Orientation will be on Monday and my dad is supposed to be there along with my mom. They could barely be in the same room together for five minutes, we'll see how they deal with two hours and surrounded by high school students.

This morning my dad assigned me an assistant. It wasn't necessary, but it was nice to have someone on this floor with me. He was older than me by ten years, but he's worked for my dad since he's started the company. I was only a toddler when my mom and dad built this company.

"Hey, Justin," I called from my office.

He appeared in the doorway in a matter of seconds. "Yes?"

"Is there any way you could get me a coffee?"

"Of course." He smiled a little. "Cream or sugar?"

I lightly shook my head. "Thank you so much."

The first name on my stack of applications was a girl named Whitney. It only took three rings for her to answer her phone and then when I told her, she screamed. Like blood curdling, boy band concert screaming. She did apologize afterwards and I told her I'd see her Monday at eight in the morning.

On my second phone call, Justin came in with my coffee. "Thank you."

He nodded once and left again.

Whitney was the only one that actually screamed on the phone. The other two girls that I called probably held it in until I hung up if they screamed at all. It was okay to get excited, but my poor ear was in danger of too much excitement.

The last name on the pile was Violet. I dialed the number she had written down and let it ring. Just when I thought no one was going to answer, there was a click and a husky hello.

"Is Violet Bowen available?"

"This is her brother. Who's calling?"

"James Roedan. I'm calling about the internship Violet applied for."

The line was quiet and I almost thought he hung up. There was talking in the background, but I couldn't understand it. The stress in my temples throbbed and I rubbed my fingers against my forehead. I seriously need to get used to waking up this early-"Hello?"

"Violet?" It was stupid to ask because I already knew, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

"This is Violet."

"It's James Roedan and I'm calling about the internship. I wanted to let you know that you have a spot. You'll have to be on the fifth floor at eight A.M. sharp for orientation. You'll find a badge with your name on it on the main floor at the front desk."

"Really? Thank you so much. I swear I won't be late again. This is so great, oh, gosh. Just...thank you."

"You're welcome." I leaned over my desk on my arm. "If you have any questions before then don't hesitate to call this number."

There was a moment of silence before she spoke again, "I will, thank you, James."

"You're welcome. I'll see you here Monday morning."