Chapter 13: Will We Figure This Out?

-James-

The wind howled and whistled. The moon shadowed the branches of a tree against my window. I watched the shadows on my ceiling, an arm folded behind my head, another resting on my stomach.

Violet wondered into my thoughts again. The feeling of her lips, her skin, her hands...my mind intertwined with the memories. Last weekend at my dad's wedding shouldn't have ended the way it did. It didn't end the way I had expected it to. The look on her face is forever etched into my mind. It was desire, regret, and maybe a little more desire.

Then I took her home.

She's avoided me at work, won't answer my calls, and hasn't even looked in my direction since that night.

My chest constricted again.

Instead of fighting with my thoughts even more, I got out of bed and got dressed in a pair of jeans, a random t-shirt, and a hoodie. I left Chaos sleeping on my bed and grabbed my keys before running out of my apartment.

I didn't waste any time getting into my car and driving off. The hour of the night wasn't ideal and I'm bound to piss someone off. It was almost midnight. I couldn't sleep and I needed to get out of my own head.

And Violet was the first person I thought of. It was time we talked. I needed to talk to her. To hear her voice...without her yelling at me I hope.

The closer I got to her house, the harder my heart started beating. When I got into her neighborhood, I parked at an empty house just a couple down from hers. The last thing I needed was for Gray to come out here and kick my ass. Not only would that do me damage, but also I know it would upset Violet.

I climbed out of my car and closed the door quietly behind me. My feet fell into step on the sidewalk. The two houses past in a blur and I stood in front of hers. My lungs inflated, taking in the cold night air, and I exhaled before walking around her house to her backyard.

This was going to be difficult.

Her room could be either of the two windows.

Luckily, one of the lights was on in one room. I'm lucky if one of these windows do belong to her room. I stepped up to the room with the light on, slowly curving my head around the panel to peek inside. This was creepy and I'm ashamed of myself right now. Part of myself wanted to laugh at how ridiculous this was though.

Through the crack of the curtains I saw Violet. She was sitting on her bed with a book between her hands.

I loosed the breath I had been holding and stepped away from the window. Letting the light from her room guide me, I kicked around to find a few small pebbles. A few steps further back, I threw the first pebble and listened to a small clink against her window.

When I was ready to throw the second one, her curtains opened and her eyes widened when she saw me. She unlocked the window and pushed it up. Reluctantly, I took a few steps closer to her as she stuck her head out the window. "What are you doing here?" She asked in a soft whisper.

"Meet me back here." I whispered back.

"Give me a minute."

I nodded and she closed the window back.

She didn't want to see me, I could tell. And I hate that feeling. Someone I wanted to see so badly doesn't necessarily want to see me.

The sound of small footsteps rustled through the grass. Violet walked around the side of the house, coming to a stop in front of me. The light leaking from her window illuminated the side of her face, leaving part of it shadowed. "You shouldn't be here, James."