Chapter 1: Don't Feel Sorry For Me

-James-

My eyes blurred through a sleepy haze. My alarm blared beside me and I thought my ears were going to start bleeding. I threw my arm to the side, lazily and blindly trying to attack my alarm clock to make it stop. The button pressed down under the weight of my fingers and stopped.

I huffed and placed my forearm over my eyes.

My head blazed and throbbed from drinking too much last night. Now my dad's warning rang loud in my ear like he was actually standing next to me. "You start work in the morning," He had said, pointing a taunting finger in my direction, "don't party all night."

Well that worked out.

Not.

It's barely six in the morning and I managed to get at least two hours of sleep. How I'm going to survive the day is still up for debate. With the way I feel now, I'll be lucky to make it out of the apartment without falling over.

I think I'd rather have class today than work with my dad. If I even so much as complain, he'll just call me ungrateful. He's been a complete ass since the divorce three years ago. Even though he's already engaged to a new woman half his age, he still sticks his nose where it doesn't belong.

Of course I was on my mom's side during the divorce. The only reason I took it as hard as I did was because of her. She'd lock herself in her room, she'd cry, and she rarely ate. I wanted to kick my dad's ass for the way he treated her. Ever since I saw the way he treated her, I promised myself I'd never treat a girl wrong again.

Okay, so maybe my record with girls hasn't exactly been the best. But I've never treated them the way my dad treated my mom. If anything, they've probably treated me worse. But I'm not here to point fingers. Except in my dad's direction because he is a Grade A dick and that's a fact.

And now I have to work for him. Not my finest moment. When I tried getting out of it, my mom told me it's a great opportunity. She obviously helps run the advertising company, but she works in a different part of the building. I'd rather work with her than my dad.

I'll manage.

Eh, maybe. If I can get this headache to go away it'll help keep in the urge to want to leave the moment he talks to me. And a lot of caffeine. By a lot of caffeine, I mean three Red Bull's. That's definitely not a good idea. Good thinking, James.

I threw the blankets from my body and stumbled out of bed. My small apartment is cozy and it was all mine. It was nice having something to myself now. Even though my mom is helping me pay for it. As long as I keep my grades up, she'll help me pay for anything I needed. And the keyword is need, not want. Hopefully working with my dad will help me so I can help her.

My eyes still burned with sleep as I made my way to my closet to find a suit. I plucked one out and threw it on the bed before walking to my bathroom for a quick shower. The hope of the cold water helping me vanished when I stepped out. Clearly that was a stupid ass idea.

As I was drying my hair with a towel, I realized how bad I actually needed a haircut. Whatever.

I got dressed and then fixed my silver tie. At least I had control over what color tie I could wear.

Once I was ready, I walked into my kitchen to grab a Red Bull from the fridge. Just when I thought I only needed one, I grabbed another for safe measure. I snatched my keys from the table beside the door and my wallet, stuffing it into my back pocket. My phone was snug in the inside of my suit jacket, on silent. Trying to cover all angles before I leave.