Conversations

"You talk differently and you don't give me the same look you used to. You're deep in thought. You smile when I know you aren't actually smiling. Why don't you wake up? It was all just a dream. Forget about it. Forget all of it."
"No."
"You were always this stubborn," she clicked, "Never forgetting anything. Do you think people genuinely care about you? Everyone is forgetting and yet you remember. You remember every single moment, every single laughter, cry, glance - every saddening, broken smile. Why do you do this? Everyone is acting so dead. You should act dead too. You shouldn't care anymore. You shouldn't love anymore. Why pay attention when you get absolutely nothing in return?"
"I won't walk around with a dead soul," I whispered, "I won't go around pretending. I won't convince myself that I am having the time of my life with a person I barely know or that what I do is good if it is not. Nah. I don't do that. I'm not like everyone else."
"Oh, move on," she was frustrated now, "Your potential. You could care about something so much better. You could change the world."
"Aren't I already changing it a little?" A small smile tugged on my lips.
"All this wisdom and logic is leading you nowhere. Why so unselfish? Why let things go?" She hissed.
"When an owner leads a mad dog by a leash, it is only a matter of time before it breaks free. Better release it before it hurts you in order to get free, don't you agree?"
"And what of you?"
"What of me? I was always insignificant. You know, people never do appreciate what they have. Never truly. I am destined to know certain things other people don't understand. It isn't always an easy thing."
"You are strange."
"So I am."
"How will this attitude attribute to what you feel tomorrow?"
"People like me are destined to be drenched in melancholy," I laughed lightly, "It is fine though. Perhaps it tests what I can endure in this life when I love others more than they love me."
"No one puts effort into anything. Nor commitment. So why should you?"
"I guess I'm an idealist," I gave a cheeky smile, "I believe in the potential of human beings. Why wouldn't I when He who created us knows that we have potential already?"
"Stop hoping."
"This isn't hope," I murmured quietly, "It's truth."
"Liar. No one believes it. That means it is falsehood."
That was the time I grinned, "Oh. I've heard of you before."
"What of me?" She snorted.
"Of how you crush people like this. We all talk to you and confide in you yet we don't know who you are."
Then she disappeared.
I took a pen and stared at it.
I thought of her and me. I thought of many people, many things.
Then I started writing.