The Concept of Love

It all starts with love, so it seems. Love - a common title people stick to all their obsessions, a major misconception, a hidden reality. Love - a beauty and a mercy to all who understand it. Love - a very broad concept everyone wants to explain in a unique way (but really; is there a universal definition of love?). I would like a say in it. I'm human too, am I not? I would like to explain the essence of love.
Love is when you genuinely care for the future and well-being of someone even if you are not involved in it. Not being involved is an important part, you see, for anyone that is selfish can never truly know love. Love is not when one harshly or coldly rejects you, and you turn away from them. Love is not when you believe you will reap benefits from the other. Oh, no. Many of us do not know love or how to love, for if we did, the world would be silent and still. It would finally know peace.
I don't trust the love of others. Growing up how I did, I was taught to be suspicious, because you see child, you don't understand the maturity of one soul until it proves it to you by actions. It is very simple and sound, yet many people get the idea that some sort of infatuation or desire must be love. But what they don't know is that all love carries a type of sacrifice.
I'm not talking about a scenerio where Romeo is in love with Juliet and goes against the world to get her. What kind of love is that for other beings? Are you to destroy lifelong relationships for the young woman or man you have met a few months back? What does that tell you of your relationship with your family and friends before her or him? What do you know of her or his family, character and conduct? Life is not a soap opera and I do very much dispise how they show love to be in them. One who has a bad relationship with his or her parents will most likely not be able to have a proper relationship with anyone else. No. I am not speaking of Romeo and Juliet, for they were unknowledgable children when they met (and I say unknowledgable due to respect of the very few children I have come to know that have knowledge, character and conduct of this matter).
I am speaking of the sacrifice of time, patience, encouragement, perseverence and conversation even though you wish nothing more than to lay an exhausted  head on a pillow and drift off to sleep. How much of us are willing to do this, (and be honest with yourself - for when you love someone, he or she is an ordinary human being that you feel little lust for as time passes - this is not a perfect angel that will be different from all of humanity)?
Oh yes, I have seen hundreds of people turn their heads away over and over again. It is a saddening sight, and I'd rather not speak of it. Perhaps it is not nice of me to do so for perhaps those people regret it or will regret it one day. I sympathise with them, but above all, I pray that they will know love better than the best of people.
So ask yourselves: would you love a person that could provide you nothing but company at the moment?
I have seen people that were miles away from each other and haven't seen each other for years due to a problem (and mind again, these are only a fair few). No status. No reputation. Only their bare character and conduct, and they still had gone through hardships together all due to the connection of love. Would you sacrifice time and patience for the same person if he or she was going through a difficult time? Many of you would perhaps say yes, but more than half of you don't really know what this means. Think once more.
Do not mix love and infatuation. For when you are infatuated, everything is easy even when you are lazy, for there is this undiscovered gem you are waiting to find and you are a hungry explorer filled with adrenaline. But when you are tired, lazy, scared and frightened...will you then turn your head away like most others, my friend?