Story of the Radioactive Heart

The girl was holding the container in her lap. She stared at it with perplexed thoughts and stretched her arms from time to time. Her hair fell over her face as she dove in that pool of thoughts, slowly wiggling her feet. A shadow lingered next to her. She looked up. It was him.

They observed each other silently; there seemed to be no reason to talk now. His expression was in pain and he breathed heavily, as if being in her presence was suffocating him.

"Hi," she finally said. The staring competition had become too much for her.

"Hi," he responded almost inaudibly.

"You can sit if you wish," she offered quietly, pointing at the seat of the bench right next to her.

He sat down without being told again. They indulged silence for another few minutes or so. The air was dense. The sun's rays penetrating. But the birds were still celebrating the beautiful day and the winds still blew like they used to. It was funny how some things always stayed the same.

"You don't love me, do you?" He said, rather unsure of his own question. It sounded wrong to him.

"Does it matter if I do?" She hummed silently, "Nothing would change if I did or didn't."

He stared at his lap, "You were always void of all emotion. I guess that is what gets me the most."

"I have emotion. I just choose not to show it. Why would I show it to you when you have left me emotionally? What was I supposed to do? If there is anyone who is heartless, it is you. You have no idea how much courage I had to pluck up before I decided to walk away. I don't understand you. You're unhappy both with or without me."

He didn't say anything after that.

"Even you don't understand yourself, do you? Uncertainty is instability. It truly is," she whispered and squeezed the container in her lap.

"What is in that?" He asked.

"It's what keeps me void of all emotion," she retorts secretively, "My heart's radioactive. I put it into a container so it wouldn't hurt anyone. It's there. You just can't see it."

"How do you mean it will harm us?"

"Quite simple really. If I responded to what you felt, a cacophony of endless colors and emotion would drain us. We wouldn't be able to move on, so I kept my heart away for us to move on."

He frowned to understand what she had said, and after a time he looked up. She was still staring at the container.

"You still care, don't you?" He murmured.

"Nothing would change if I did or didn't," she repeated.