The Slaves of Today

'Everybody is a slave,' was what he once told me. My teacher. I know it means nothing to most people - why should it? He is only this man with a halo over his soul. They aren't worth much nowadays.
But to me, he was special. Even his appearance seemed endearing (what really gives an appearance taste is a clear, pristine, pure forehead that had never touched sin); blue eyes, a really clear smile - the one that fills your core with warmth - and a gentle but strong voice. He never looked me straight in the eyes. That was the respect he had for me.

So naturally, after my small introduction of this teacher whom without this text wouldn't have any meaning, I had to dwell on the thoughts of what that saying meant. Everybody is a slave. Nobody is free. What could this mean?
My one and only goal in life is to have a peaceful conscience which I believe to consist of mind and soul. He was the teacher that was teaching me just this - my religion. The religion of humanity. It is everything to me. My life revolves around it. I breathe and I live for this beauty God had bestowed upon me. My religion's name means 'peace' and 'submission', so naturally, if he had called followers of my faith slaves, it would only make sense. But those who are not? They live their lives free. Correct?
That's when I realized how wrong I was. For indeed, everyone is a slave, and we do not control ourselves at the end of the day. Someone else does. Something else does. It is up to us to decide who we let our masters become and we must choose very quickly before society does it for us. Verily, society, our lack of desire for intellect, and our carelessness destroys us.
Don't you know that the greatest men walked alone? If we follow the same path, there isn't something you'll discover. Only when you walk into the forest do you find beauty. So who are our masters? Who are these powerful things?
The most amusing thing about a human being is that he or she will never admit that anything controls their will. Don't you see that everything nowadays is about Money, Sex and Power? And then there really are masters such as Tradition, Self-Indulgence and Laziness. They have eyes but they don't see. We willingly and unknowingly commit to these very things and make them Masters of our own. And they are no good to us, if we only knew.
But we don't know.
These masters make us empty in this kingdom of hearts. They aren't what knows us. They aren't what benefits us. It takes little effort to strip one of his happiness if they are the worshippers of one of these things. This can't give us content nor peace.
Submitting oneself means to realize the weakness one has within themselves. All of us who are young believe we can part mountains when, really, it takes little effort to crumble us from within. The needier we are of these masters, the weaker we become. How unaware we are is what amuses me most. First I laugh, and then I cry as an afterthought.
Polytheism still exists in its countless forms and most still don't realize that they are part of them. How different are we from our ancestors who used to worship statues and the sun?
There is something from within us, something some call a soul, that makes us content with a situation. It is not of any kind of matter we know of, therefore we can't give it to those masters to control - masters we have created ourselves.
So who is going to be your master of today? What are you going to dedicate your life to?