My Friend the Moon

Today the moon spoke to me after what seemed to be a million years. Only to me. There were a billion people outside rushing to eat. I walked slowly with a long skirt flapping against my ankles (and it feels sort of odd, after all those trousers), staring at the sky as one of my dear friends spoke to me. I didn't hear much of it though as I was focused almost entirely on the moon that was nearly full, star-like, beautiful and polished with melancholy.
I've seen it of course, a million times, but nothing filled me with such inspiration as it shone its wrinkled face at me for what seemed to be forever. It was as though my lips had parted for a drop of water that I believed would quench my agonizing thirst.
"What are you staring at?" My friend asked me, and I silented her, pointing at the skies.
"You'll make its beauty fade away by talking," I murmured and sat on a nearby bench where the water was quiet.
"Why?"
"I dunno. But isn't this silence a holy thing?"
She didn't answer but I could tell she agreed with me. She lied against my shoulder and sighed, staring at the white orb with me.
"What do you see when you look at the moon?" She whispered.
"Hmm," I smiled, "Many things. The moon and I are good friends. We have known each other for a long time but only recently I have come to admire it. It's so far away. I can't reach it, but I used to think I could own it by merely watching it. How strange it is when we come to realize that we shouldn't assume something is ours if we are able to look at it."
We sat in silence for a little longer before she turned her head towards me.
"Isn't everything we see ours?"
"How can it be?"
"Well. It is quite simple I believe. I mean every scenery has been stared and looked at thoroughly by straying eyes. We all desired the beauty they gave us and we all were finally at peace when we were able to see them."
"At peace?" I said, frowning, "Don't you mean you simply get used to them, take them for granted and disrespect them by walking away? No, no. One chips the soul of a scenery you are looking at and not everyone will be able to respect it the way it deserves to be respected. Always know there is someone who will respect what you have more than you will ever be able to. Always know that you must try your best to value what you have before a mishap takes toll and strips you away from it. Rather like the moon, it will seem impossible to reach for it again."
"You're a sad, sad girl," my friend told me, and gave me a small smile.
"And this world is a sad, sad place. But I don't believe myself to be sad. No. Never that," I told her quietly and rocked back and forth as the moon shined upon me. The moon was my own dear thing I had lost a long time ago as well as the many people along who decided they would be content if they simply walked away. But walk away from what? We all have our own paths we take; some rougher than others. But the moon had always shone for me and I took it for granted until it had gone and left me in the dark. If we can't move anywhere, we always move backwards. And that is how I moved until this very night when the moon spoke to me for the first time for what seemed to be a sad eternity.
I could to nothing but smile.