Chapter Four

Ch. 4: The Chunin Exams

Ion, Ryou and I had passed the first test easily. We were now at the second part of the Chunin Exam, in the Forest of Death. To be honest, I didn't like it here. It was all dark and spooky.

"Should we split or stay together?" asked Ion as we skipped to a halt. Ryou and I locked eyes with each other for a second before we both looked at Ion.

"Our chances of finding a scroll would be bigger if we splits, but it's much more dangerous." I answered in a monotone voice.

"Yeah, but we got a time-limit!" Ion raised his arms in the air to emphasize his point.

"We have five days. Why in such a hurry, Ion?" Ryou asked annoyed, glaring slightly as Ion whom crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Cause I want to be first, cause that means that we're gonna be the best of the best!" he answered, glaring back at Ryou.

"No, that just means we're the fastest, not the best." Ryou answered in an all knowing voice.

"Argh, why do you always have to be like that, Ryou?!" Ion uncrossed his arms and groaned loudly by Ryou's behavior.

"Not so loud, you idiot! You'll reveal our destination to the enemy!" Ryou whispered in a hiss.

"Too late..." chuckled an unknown voice from the trees. We all looked around to find the source of the intruder, but I couldn't see anyone out there. Considering from the still searching Ryuo and Ion, they couldn't see him either.

"Already?" I asked no one in particular. There's only been 20 minutes or so and we already been found? And I didn't even sensed them. Damn!

"Finally, we get to fight!" said Ion and clenched his fists in excitement. He was even shaking from all the excitement he had in his body.

"Be careful, you two. These guys are strong." I warned and got into my fighting position. While looking around, Ryou, Ion and I had turned our backs to each other, still searching for the enemy. Now the enemy can't at least attack us from behind unless he suddenly comes up from the ground.

"And worthy opponents indeed! I can't wait!!" Ion said and prepared himself with a kunai in hand. He quickly decided against it though and put it back in the weapon pouch.

"Then lets get started." said the unknown voice behind the bushes.

"Where are they, Shinju?" asked Ryou, looking around in the now dead silent forest. Somewhere far from here I could hear a group of birds singing, but otherwise it was silent.

"I don't know. I can't sense them." I told Ryou truthfully.

"Say what?" Ryou sounded annoyed, just like how I felt, but I didn't showed it. A ninja never reveal their emotions to the enemy, no matter what.

"That's why I said to be careful, cause these guys are strong." I told both Ryou and Ion. Ryuo scoffed at me and Ion just whispered something under his breath, sounding excited.

"What use will you be when you can't even sense them?" Ryou whispered in a hiss.

"Shut up, Ryou, and leave her alone! It's not her fault!!" Ion scolded Ryou, his voice now the one being irritated. Then the enemy appeared in front of Ion and was about to strike him with a katana, but Ryou saw this, and since he was the fastest one on our team, he took Ion in his arms and jumped away with him. I myself jumped away too from the enemy and had now added a safe distance between us. I lifted my arms up and let the bug attack the blond haired enemy there had appeared before us.