21.1 Next?

"The friends of Ilien-men of might were they, strong, skilled in the ways of the Creator, and led the residue of men to a better world. And the world changed." -The Adventures of Ilien, 46:3

AEDEN AND FREDERICK RAN HARD. They zigzagged around the outbuildings until they came to the dirt clearing before the compound, seeing their four companions charge ahead. They sprinted, desperately trying to catch up to warn Arturo and Stuart of the waiting ambush. With fifteen yards to go they saw the two leap high into the air, grab the second floor balustrade, and vault themselves over in acrobatic somersaults, while Betha and Darla disabled their targets. Seconds later, they reached the front of the building, and accelerating, leapt off the ground as hard as they could, just barely grabbing onto the edge of the stone balustrade. With heavy grunts they hauled themselves over and landed on their feet, drawing their swords.

   They looked around themselves in awe. An assortment of bodies lay scattered about, a few bleeding, all unconscious, and they caught the last of it as they watched two more women, touched on the head by Arturo and Stuart, fall to the ground.

   Arturo looked up at them, speaking in a low voice, "that was more than two."

   Aeden replied, "Diana said eight more appeared after you left. We came as backup ..." looking down at floor.

   Frederick counted the sleeping bodies. "There's only nine here. One must have escaped."

   Stuart motioned to the rear of the portico. "There's a door back here. I bet they know they have company by now." Arturo looked over the balustrade and motioned to the women below that the second floor was clear, and the others approached from their hiding place.

   The master healer whispered up, "Frederick, come down here and we'll send up Diana and Ellen. Stuart?" The round boy quickly untied his ropes and, giving one to Aeden, the two let the other ends down and hauled the two women up. Frederick jumped down. The master healer whispered out again, "Remember your goal. Find and stop the warlord at all cost. Of one mind and heart!"

   "Of one mind and heart!" they all whispered in reply, and parted ways. Aeden and his companions crept to the rear of the second floor portico and approached the door. Arturo cautiously opened it and peered through.

   "Come!" he whispered. They slipped through the door into a large hallway with doors lining it on either side. Several candles in the wall sconces lit the hall and cast long, jittery shadows as they approached. They came to the first set of doors and nudged them open, looking through into the spaces beyond, which from the light in the hallway they could see were storage rooms. Moving on to the next set, they opened them and saw an office full of parchments and books on a few desks, and a bedroom with several sets of bedding laid about on the floor. The next set of doors revealed two more bedrooms.

   Stuart remarked, "Seems rather deserted ..." Arturo snapped back at him with his finger to his lips. They approached the door at the end of the hall. Under the door they saw the flickering light from several candles. They opened the door and passed into a very large room with a tall ceiling. A long table stood in the center, cluttered from a recently eaten meal, and doors lined each wall. A staircase descended at the other end of the room, but in front of them, seated at the head of the table sat a man.

   He stood. "Welcome." He was tall, a little grey in his hair, and powerfully built. A sword was sheathed at his side and he wore a light leather armor. His face looked weathered, but noble and knowing, and sported a short beard and moustache, also graying slightly.

   Arturo took a few steps forward and drew his sword, raising his voice, "Lord Shiavo. Surrender to us, or you will die."

   The man held up his hand and said, "I'm afraid I am not Lord Shiavo, my friends. I am a rohva, just like you."

   Arturo continued stepping slowly towards the man. "Are you his associate? Regardless, surrender to me now and your life will be spared."

   The man chuckled and spoke, "You will be doing no killing today. I am ... Lord Shiavo's lieutenant and personal protector. Tell me, friends, what did you hope to accomplish today? Did you not see our army outside?"

   Aeden and his companions looked at one another. Arturo paced closer. "We are here to stop your master's reign of terror across our land. This is your final chance. Do I have your surrender? Or are you giving me the pleasure of forcing your submission?"

   The lieutenant drew his sword. It sparkled and flashed with energy as it unsheathed, and he answered, "You may certainly try."

   Arturo charged. To that day, Aeden had seen many great sword duels. In the capital city itself he had watched in awe as the greatest swordsmen in the entire kingdom of millions displayed their skills with cunning ferocity. He had witnessed rohva sword duels between Betha and Arturo and Stuart and Frederick and Darla and Rupert, but all of them seemed like children playing with sticks compared to what he witnessed now. The two men circled one another in a flurry of lightning, metal and inhuman speed. Their blades clashed and sparked, glowed and flashed, their stray blows arcing energy to the stone floor, shattering it, to the wooden table, lighting it afire, and occasionally hitting the other's armor, making it sizzle. But in one swift motion, the lieutenant parried a blow and his hand darted out to touch Arturo's head, and when his finger just barely making contact, Arturo dropped to the floor, unconscious.

   The lieutenant, chest heaving, turned slowly to face the rest of them. He smiled, and said nonchalantly, "Next?"