12.4 Fellowship

Priam also nudged Aeden towards the entrance, and several younger onlookers cheered them on. By now, both Aeden and Betha were too flustered to put up much of a protest, and they allowed themselves to be swept out the door by a small crowd. Once outside, the excited observers formed a small circle around the four youth, which immediately drew the attention of yet more people.

   Betha protested further, "Darla, I don't even have my sword with me!" Priam pulled his out of its sheath. "By all means, my lady, please use mine," and handed it to Darla, who shoved it into Betha's reluctant hand.

   Betha didn't give up, "I'm not even wearing any armor! He's at least got a leather cuirass on!" she said, pointing to Aeden.

   He interjected, "Well, we can just aim to disarm the other ..."

   Betha glared at him. "Fine. Let's get this over with." The young woman raised her sword in salute. He did likewise. They circled each other slowly, eyeing the other's sense of balance and manner of movement.

   Aeden struck first, dealing a series of quick blows intent on wrenching the sword out of her hand. She easily parried them, dealing several of her own. Aeden, seeing her obvious skill, put a little more force into his swings, trying to use his larger size to his advantage. She laughed at this, easily knocking his blows aside and delivered several more quick, surprisingly powerful strokes. He backed up, feinting to his right, then spinning inward towards her to his left. His swipe was parried, but he collided into her and knocked her with his elbow, making her stumble.

   She caught herself, then charged him, raining strokes upon him like lightning. He parried as best he could, but she had him backing up against the crowd of gathered people, which was cheering and shouting their approval. Aeden then tried a disarming maneuver, but leapt out of the way when she plainly saw it coming and answered it with a cleverly placed swipe of her own. Clearly frustrated, and yet in awe, he charged her again, his sword as lightning in his hands.

   Suddenly, actual lightning erupted from her sword, connected with his, and Aeden dropped it with a cry of pain and shock. The crowd cheered, and Darla and several others rushed forward to congratulate their companion. He stared at her in disbelief.

   "What did you do?" he asked, still rubbing his hand from the shock.

   Betha smirked at him, "It's just one of the seven rohva powers. Haven't you seen a society member shock another before? We mostly do it for fun, but sometimes it can come in handy in just such a situation." She picked up his fallen sword and presented it to him, who was still rubbing his hand.

   "But, how did you do it?"

   Betha replied, "Swordmaster Arturo taught me-he's the master swordsman in the society, not only of traditional swordsmanship, but of ... rohva enhanced swordsmanship. I can introduce you to him if you like-I'm sure he would love to further the training of someone so skilled ..."

   Aeden frowned, thinking she was mocking him, but noticed the gentle smile on her face, and softened his. "Well, Lady Betha, it was an honor to be disarmed by you. Shall we re-enter the chamber? It appears as if people are gathering already." She agreed to this, and with their two friends in tow, found their seats again in the council chamber. The leaders of the society had apparently come to a decision early, for only half an hour had passed since the adjournment.

   It took a few minutes for the rest of the members to trickle in, and once they had, Clara stood once more to address the crowd. "My people. We present now the names of those chosen to undertake the mission. We ask the chosen: if you will please assemble here upon the dais to be presented before the society for its approval." She paused, looking at all of them seated below her, hanging on her words.

   She continued, "The master healer has agreed to lead the expedition." He stood from his chair and approached the area of the dais to which she had motioned.

   "Swordmaster Arturo." A short, grizzled man stood up from the crowd and made his way forward.

   "Betha Solvinstra of Ramath." Aeden's mouth dropped in shock, again, as the girl approached the dais. Clara lowered her voice. "Unless your father ...?"

   Betha shook her head. "No ma'am."

   "Very well." Muttered Clara, and Betha took her place on the dais as the woman continued.

   "Rupert Murridock of Ramath." The gangly boy arose and joined the others.

    "Lady Ellen of Daystar." A tall, elegant woman seated near the back came forward.

   "Edwin Farthmore of the Capital city." A man who appeared to be in his thirties jumped out of his chair and bounded forward.

   "Gregory Mantos of the Capital City." An older man, maybe in his eighty's, approached the dais and leaped onto it, shaking hands with the master healer.

   "Darla Demingsmore of Ramath." The girl confidently arose and, head held high, ascended the dais.

   "Priam Switchback of Elbeth." Aeden's head snapped to his left and saw an equally shocked Priam slowly rise and step forward.

   "Why me?" he asked as he approached Clara.

   "Because you show great promise, my dear. We need swordsmen for this mission, and though you are new to the society, we are known more for our healing than our swordplay, and the need is great. Do you reject this offer?"

   "No ma'am." And he took his place among the others.

   She continued, "Stuart Farthing of Northmarch." The large boy stood and made his way forward.

   "Frederick Tatum of Ramath." The young man nonchalantly stepped forward with a slight swagger.

   "Diana Daystorm of the northern kingdom of Ramala." A short, middle aged woman came forward.

   "And lastly, Aeden Rossam of Elbeth." A feeling of relief washed over him as he stood and walked forward. "And Aeden, I say to you what I said to Priam-you have great potential as a rohva, but we are calling you now for your skills as a warrior, for they are scant among us."

   The thirteen stood on the dais, looking out at the remaining members of the society. Clara raised her voice once more. "My dear rohvim. Do you accept these people as the representatives we send out to stop this great evil?"

   The crowd cheered its approval. Aeden felt hot in the face and beamed out at the crowd. She continued, "Are there any among you who objects to any here chosen?"

   The cheering died away, and only glad looks were exchanged across the room. Clara turned to the group of thirteen-the taller men and women in the back, the shorter ones in front with Betha, the shortest, in the middle-and addressed them, "You are now charged with this quest. Travel to the north-the master healer and Diana have special knowledge of that country. Learn what you can along the way. Keep to the shadows and the woods to not draw attention to yourselves, and yet, relieve suffering along your path as is our constant mission. Find the stronghold of the Lord Shiavo. Find him and neutralize the threat. Under the coercion of none and of your own free will, leave now and commit yourselves to this mission, even at the cost of your very lives, for the sake of the society, our kingdom, and our freedom."