18.5 Miracle

The master spoke, "Lord Owen, I am honored to make your acquaintance and I congratulate you on your inheritance. The last time I passed through these parts, it was your father, Lord Benjamin, who was the master of this great town. As to your question, I speak peace. There is no army preparing to besiege your kingdom. The army in question is being raised to liberate several of our own cities, which have been attacked by an army of unknown origins. We know only that it came from the north, and possibly from your east."

   "Raising an army, you say, but not to send it against us? I had not heard of any cities of the south falling to unknown hands. But we ourselves are besieged by roving bands of stone-faced soldiers that appear as if they come from the south. You dare claim ignorance of them?" The lord demanded. "And I have just receive word-they not only harass outlying areas of our towns and cities, but now, just three days ago, they openly attacked two towns to the west, and razed them to the ground. All are dead. Hundreds. What say you?"

   The master healer spoke calmly, "I do not know the origin of these soldiers you speak of, my lord, but I suspect they are related to the ones harassing us in the south. A great evil is upon us, sir, and I fear now that one of its aims is to cause strife between us."

   The young lord thought on this for a moment, and continued, "This may well be truth, though I know not how to be sure. But this much I tell you, to the east, beyond the borders of our land not fifty miles hence, lies a country that my spies have informed me now teems with activity. They report men and women there, northerners, where there had been none before just five years ago. If you believe that an army came from the north and east to assail your kingdom, it will have come from there, if anywhere. But to allow you to leave, I require something of you first."

   This last part he said far more quietly than the rest. He continued, haltingly, "I do not know if you practice witchcraft, or are in league with the lord of death himself, frankly I do not care, but ... my daughter lies ill. Grievously so. She is but five years of age and I will not part with her now, though she is surely at the door." He paused, swallowing several times. "If you can, will you heal her?"

   The master healer replied, "Of course, my lord. I will do all that I can."

   The man beckoned to him and walked to the door towards the rear of the chamber that led to the private quarters, "Then come quickly. Bring who you must and come now."

   The master healer motioned for Diana to accompany him and followed the lord, who abruptly stopped and nearly shouted, "Except for her." pointing at the woman.

   The master healer continued walking, "If you want your daughter to live, I must have the very best accompany me. And this woman is the very best."

   The lord clenched his teeth and fists at this, but then continued back to the apartment. The rest of them remained in the large room, pacing and examining the various tapestries in the chamber. Several minutes passed, and Diana and the master healer emerged from the apartment. They crowded around them. "Did you do it?" asked Stuart.

   Diana smiled, "Yes, we did. She was gravely ill. As white as the bones of an animal. Horrible swelling pustules covered her neck and body, and she wimpered most pitifully. It took us many hours inside of her mind to repair the damage, but it is done. The child quickly recovers, even now." She turned to the master healer, "Why did you claim to him that I was the best? Surely Lady Ellen could have done better ..."

   The master nodded, "Perhaps, but now we have healed his opinion of you as well. Please do not wound it again."

   "Very well." She replied, grudgingly, "I suppose it's not their fault they were born into royalty..." The door behind them opened again, and the Lord Owen passed through, holding his small daughter, who was now awake and smiling shyly at them all, the oozing sores on her neck still visible, but her face was now pink and lively.

   The lord beamed at them, somewhat overcome by emotion. "Witchcraft or no, I thank you. I thank you. She would surely have died within days. I ... I thank you." He repeated. The girl reached up and wrapped her arms around her father's neck. He continued, "Go now, and find safe passage through my land. I will send the word before to allow you to pass. Go and solve this mystery, and may war between our peoples be averted." He shook the hand of the master healer, and bowed to Diana, who grudgingly bowed in return. They walked out of the hall, their weapons returned to them, and passing out the front gate, they walked down the dirty lane in front of the castle.

   They passed through the lands surrounding the town unbothered by all. They travelled a day, and continued their journey all the next day, stopping near a stream to make their camp. The hills rolled all around them, sprinkled with evergreen trees and tinged with gold by the falling sun. They neglected to light a fire again, still wishing less unwelcome attention, so Aeden, Betha, and Rupert decided to go explore further down the stream to find any promising pools for bathing the next morning.

   They followed the winding stream, talking, laughing, pointing at the fish swimming upstream to the east. They paused for a rest after ten minutes or so. Aeden sat by Betha and pointed at Rupert, "So this guy told me Frederick is weird." 

   She laughed, and remarked, "Frederick is one of the more ... odd ... people I've met."

   Aeden looked at her, aghast, "Are you hard of hearing? I said this guy," he pointed again at his snorting friend, "said that Frederick is weird. Oh, I get it. Rupert, congratulations on your new sense of humor."

   They all laughed, and then convulsed, grabbing their heads. Aeden's world momentarily spun, and when he righted himself, stood staring at his friends. "What was that?"

   Rupert's eyes widened, "That felt like a mind shock."

   Betha said, "There's no one but the others around for miles. That can only mean two things ..." They paused three seconds longer, then burst into a sprint back towards the camp.

   Frederick and Darla lay on their beddings, which had been pushed up quite close to each other. They laughed, then shared a slow kiss. They looked up. Darla said, "Priam?"