11.2 Initiate

Darla responded, "She's only the most awesome rohva ever!"

   Betha nodded, "She is the founder of the society of healers. It was she that introduced many of us to our true natures, and even the master healer acknowledges that she is greater than he in skill and knowledge."

   "What makes her so great? I mean, she seemed pretty impressive, but that's just by looking at her and listening to her. What has she done?"

   Betha rolled her eyes, "She may not have a drop of royal blood in her, your majesty, but that does not stop a commoner from achieving greatness-far greater than any of your ancestors." She retorted coldly. "She is a legend in our time. Her ability to heal is breathtaking-she works harder at her healing craft than any person in the society-it's like she's made it her mission to eradicate disease and sickness in the whole kingdom. Many people attribute the peace and prosperity we've enjoyed for close to a hundred years now to her-without her, we'd be like any of the neighboring kingdoms-full of sickness and death and starvation-she must heal at least one hundred people a week. And don't get me started on her other rohva talents. She discovered at least half of them."

   She took a breath. Betha clearly respected the woman greatly, and Aeden nodded, "She does sound pretty amazing. Did she invite you both into the society?"

   Betha said, "She invited Darla. The master healer invited me."

   Darla added, "You should see her mind sometime. When she invited us in, she took us to this immaculate garden. Hedges perfectly trimmed, arrayed in neat patterns as far as the eye could see. Fruit trees and vines grown together into intricate shapes, flower beds filled with impossible colors. A large shallow pool that reflected the blue sky like a mirror. Think of the garden in front of the king's palace, and then imagine that that is just a shadow or cheap imitation of the true garden in her. I've never seen such detail in a mind before."

   Aeden raised his eyebrows, stiffly saying, "Well she's definitely a person I should get to know better, then." He shifted his gaze to Betha, "Speaking of meeting, we've never really had a chance to talk since we met at your father's shop."

    Betha eyes grew slightly wider, and she looked at her friend, her eyes screaming out, "Don't you dare leave!"

   Darla, finding the situation uncommonly funny, punched Aeden in the shoulder and walked off, calling behind her, "See you around, prince!"

   Betha turned to look at Aeden with a forced smile, "So. Aeden. " She nodded once to him, "I understand you're an accomplished swordsman. That is impressive given our age."

   Aeden stammered, "Uh, well, I guess so. Well, at least my friends say so. And I did win my age division at the Elbeth swordsman tournament several weeks ago..."

   She raised her eyebrows in near-interest, "Really. That is just wonderful. You know, I remember I did promise my father I would be back before too late. He does worry about me so...." She gave a forced chuckle. "So if you'll excuse me, it's been lovely getting to know you a little better...." 

   She extended her hand. He took it, but lingered in the handshake. "So you didn't tell me anything about yourself."

   She pulled her hand back, "No, I guess I didn't. Well, so long!"

   Aeden, feeling a little desperate, insisted, "But, wait a second. Won't you tell me anything about yourself? What do you do? Do you just do the cooking for your father?"

   She shot him a scornful look, "No! Of course not! Well, yes I usually do the cooking but just because he is such a horrible cook ... and, ok, I mend some of his clothes sometimes, but no, in fact, I do most of the purchasing for the shop. My father sends me out to the artisans, the farmers, and the armorsmiths to purchase items for him to sell."

   Aeden cut in. "You do the purchasing of the armor and weapons for your father?"

   She rolled her eyes. "Yes, me. Wow, it's like you've never seen a woman that can do ... anything ... before. Are the women very well behaved in Elbeth?"

   He shifted uncomfortably. "No, no that's not what I meant. There are swordswomen and women shopkeepers and women priests in Elbeth. I just didn't think ... you just didn't strike me as the type."

   "What type?"

   "I don't know." They both stood there looking at each other awkwardly. He continued, "So when you go out to purchase armors and weapons, what do you look for? You must be pretty knowledgeable about them for you to be purchasing them for sale."

   "Yes, I am. In fact, I'm no mean swordswoman myself. My father served in the royal guard when he was younger, and he has trained me well. I plan on being the first swordswoman on the Elder Council of the Society."

   Aeden's heart skipped a beat. "Well, Betha, you may just have to demonstrate this skill for me soon." He straightened his back. "I'm sorry, it was delightful talking to you, but I won't keep you further. Please send my regards to your father." And he reached out and grabbed her hand to shake it again, too fast for her to extend hers, or to pull it away. He abruptly turned and walked over to another group of young men, leaving her standing there gazing after him. She shook her head and began the walk back to her home.