9.2 Stained

"Well, the defense of the east gate finally folded, and I was wounded in the process, but the master healer healed me quickly and sent me off to gather who I could at the Markham estate and begin a retreat. I ran through the city, and it became apparent to me that the army, which had split into three groups just before they reached the wall-I had forgotten to mention that, the army was already in the city, having scaled the walls on the south and north, and probably the west gate as well. And I also noticed that they focused their assaults, once within the city, on the estates and houses of the nobility. They seemed to leave all else untouched. When I arrived at the Markham estate, they had broken through the defenses already, and most lay dead. Including my sister. My mother here was on her feet, sword in hand, delivering death to scores of the enemy before I helped her finish them off."

   The lord looked at Lady Rossam in surprise. "My lady? I did not know that you are a swordswoman."

   She shook her head, "I am somewhat skilled with a blade, but am no swordswoman. But after seeing them take my daughter, I had to rid my sight of all the stone-faced filth."

   The lord looked confused, and asked, "They took your daughter? I thought she was dead?"

   Aeden answered, "She is, my lord. My mother saw them strike her down."

   Lady Rossam went on, "I saw them strike her, and I felt her dead, but I can't be sure. Please, my lord, I want to return, and maybe, just maybe, find her. Perhaps if you lent us a contingent of your city guard, my son and I could-"

   The lord held up his hand. "Absolutely not, my lady. As both you and your son tell me, your daughter is dead, and I will not risk my men in such a futile mission, and I would hope you do likewise. I am very sorry for your loss, my good friends, but we must look to the future, not the past, and plan for our defense."

   Lady Rossam pressed on. "But surely, my lord, we must retake the city eventually. Why not start now, and send a small force to scout out their defenses, and thus allow me to find my loved ones?"

   "I have spoken. There will be no rescue attempts for those that lie dead. I am truly sorry." The lord reached out and touched her hands on the table. "However, you are correct, we will most undoubtedly retake the city of Elbeth. I have not been in contact with the king yet, but I know him, and I am sure that he will immediately set about gathering a liberation army that will sweep the invaders from our land, and pursue them to their origin."

   Aeden added, "And I will join that army, mother. We will have our home back."

   The lord continued, "Armies require time to muster, however, so don't make immediate plans for your revenge ... please, stay with us and rest here. Consider this your home for as long as you require." He stood. "Well, my Lord Rossam, if there is nothing else?"

   Aeden hesitated. For the length of the conversation, he had been careful not to implicate the society of healers in any of the events at Elbeth. But for the sake of his city, he went on, "One more thing, my lord. At the Markham estate, one of the more capable enemy soldiers made it through. He ... well ... he, shocked, several of the defenders there."

   The lord sat again. "What do you mean, he shocked them?"

   "He pointed his hands at them, and lightning burst forth from his finger, sending the men flying through the air. He then pointed at me, I was about to charge with my sword, and then he fell. The master healer had come just in time, and knocked him out from behind." He stopped, not betraying the healer's touch.

   The lord shook his head. "That confirms my suspicions. Sorcery indeed. Powerful wizardry such as this is known only in legend and Chronicle. Alas that these days are ours, to confront such an evil." He stood once more and grasped Aeden's hand. "Thank you, Lord Rossam. If you remember anything else, please come see me at court." He bowed slightly to Lady Rossam, and left the small house.

   The lady stood on her feet, and likewise walked out of the house, collapsing to her knees in the garden, and, looking to the ground, began pulling weeds infesting the line of tomato plants near her. As Aeden watched, she continued weeding, crawling on her hands and knees down the entire length of the row, and started on the next one. He shook his head and walked away, heading for the gate to the estate and the streets below. In the days and weeks that would follow, the silent, distraught woman would spend most of her days assisting the gardeners tending the land, and at the end of each day would return to the house with hands and arms stained brown with earth and green with tomato vine. Still she said little, overcome with aching, silent grief.