17.5 Songs

Arms filled with wood, they returned to the camp, where Frederick and Gregory were midway through constructing something to hold a pot over a fire, while Betha looked on, providing less than helpful suggestions. They dumped the firewood next to the contraption and Aeden set about arranging his bedding while Rupert took Betha aside and Gregory finished his work. Darla and Frederick left to search for some herbs to season the stew that Betha and Gregory had started, while Aeden and Rupert continued their talk of women and "shoulder girl", as Aeden referred to Rupert's one-time love interest.

   Later, the stew finished cooking, they all sat on the ground and shared in a rare communal meal together. Some began to eat, at which point the master healer asked that they communally thank the Creator for their meal and safety on the journey thus far. They agreed, some not quite as willingly, and they all raised their heads as the master intoned his prayer. Once complete, they resumed eating, laughing at the jokes and banter that continually poured from the mouths of Frederick and Darla.

   Towards the end of the meal, Darla fell silent and looked at Betha, who nodded. Darla announced, "Well, enough with Frederick's lame jokes. We thought that it might be a good time to say a few things about the prince's buddy," she said, nodding over to Aeden. The sun had set and twilight lay about them as the fire roared and flickered on the faces surrounding it. She continued, "He was a good kid. Didn't get to know him much myself, but he seemed great."

   Betha nodded. "Priam, I could tell, was going to become a good friend, had I gotten to know him better. The way he and Aeden talked and laughed and wrestled, you could tell what good friends the two of them are. I hope ...." She paused, "I hope, he's safe, or in a good place."

   Rupert began, "Priam was a bit of a jerk to me." They all stared at him. "Oh don't misunderstand me. I like the guy. In fact, most people are jerks to me before they get to know me. Once they get to know me, then they're just awful to me." He snorted, delighted at his self deprecation. Darla rolled her eyes. He went on, "But after awhile, he was very good to me. We come from similar backgrounds, he and I. My parents weren't exactly poor, but we were not noble by any means. He understood that and was kind to me in the end. I'll miss him."

   The master healer cleared his throat. "I fear, not that he is dead, but that he has come under the influence of Lord Shiavo. I'm sorry to be blunt: it is truth. But you are all correct. Priam was of the highest caliber. That is why I invited him to the society. He was young, but he seemed wise and mature beyond his years ..."

   Darla interrupted, "Then why was he hanging around this guy?" Aeden shot her a wicked look and Frederick laughed, though slapping Aeden on the back.

   The master resumed, "And he had such potential as a healer, and as a true rohva. Aeden, if he is alive, we will find him. And we will save him." He finished, looking towards Betha, who nodded solemnly.

   Aeden looked at them all, and said, "Thanks everyone. Priam was my best friend. I had lots of friends growing up, and there are lots of people back in Elbeth that think I'm their best friend or that I'm great or try to suck up to me ... but Priam never did that. He was just ... real. And great. And fun. Even when he was lecturing me about not leading girls on, or letting poorer boys think I was their best friend in the world and getting them to do anything for me ..." Betha gave a disapproving look, "... he did it in a way that always caught my respect, and even when I ignored him, which was often, I respected him. He ..." his voice caught and he closed his mouth, but no tears came. He sat there, nodding. They all sat in silence for some minutes.

   Betha announced, "Well, I for one want a song. Aeden? Sing for us? What was Priam's favorite?"

   Aeden shook his head, "Not now. Please."