19.3 Escalate

Priam slowed his run when he saw that Aeden no longer chased him. He found part of the group of soldiers that accompanied him on his journey from the warlord's stronghold and ordered them to come return with him. They walked quickly, covering several miles every hour, travelling through the night. At last, late the next morning he arrived at the compound and dismissed the soldiers to go rest. Without saying a word or even looking at him they slowly walked away, leaving him to enter the stronghold and deliver the prize to Yoruth.

   He had done well, he knew. He had allowed several of the company to see his expressionless face before he brought his hands together and shocked them all to oblivion. He had not planned on Aeden, Betha, and Rupert being gone, though. That had disrupted his plans a bit, but he derived no small amount of pleasure from beating Aeden in a duel.

   "Royal prig probably didn't see that coming ..." he mumbled to himself as he climbed the stairs to Yoruth's chamber. He entered the door and placed the object on the table.

   "Well done, my boy. I trust you had no trouble?"

   "None." He replied, "I even managed to teach the royal brat a lesson in rohva dueling."

   Yoruth patted his arm, held up the mechanical toy, and continued, "Good. Now, we must be leaving soon. If you made it here as fast as you did, then they are likely not far behind-they may arrive as early as tomorrow. Let us make haste now for Elbeth. We have work to do."

   "Do you think Shiavo will put up a good fight against them? He looks quite capable. And that lieutenant of his appears yet more worthy an opponent, even for master Arturo."

   "No. We shall not even tell them of your friends' approach. I truly detest both of them-the atrocities they've committed. Truly awful. No, Priam, they've been useful associates for now, but they've served their purpose. And besides, I would much rather have you at my side as my counselor and confidant in the days ahead. Soon, when the world changes, you will have a very high place within it indeed."

   Priam nodded, "Good. Even though they taught the nobility a lesson in Elbeth, a lot of good people died there, and I'm glad they'll pay. Are we leaving right now?"

   Yoruth stood up and pulled Priam towards the door, "The sooner the better. Come. I need to go collect one of our guests before we leave." They exited the room and retrieved their travelling companion-Priam often glancing back nervously to mark her silent movement, and after gathering provisions to travel back to the south they approached the entrance of the compound. Shiavo's lieutenant stood at the front door, and stood aside as the three approached.

   "See that none follow us." Yoruth commanded the man, and as they left, placed a hand briefly on the lieutenant's head.

   And when they come, kill them all. Except for the nobleman's son-We may need him.