18.4 Confront

By now, evening had come and the sun passed down behind the mountain to the west. The company retired to bed, and awoke in the morning to begin their march afresh. Scant hours went by before they began passing farms and cottages. Men and women glanced up from their fields, looks of distrust on their faces as their eyes fell upon the strangers, but no one barred their path.

   They entered the town, and went straight to a pub, hoping to find information there. The shabby brick building had mud smeared on the walls and doors and hens scattered about in a coop attached to the building. They heard raucous laughter and singing inside.

   The master healer told the group, "It might be best if just Diana and I, and Arturo enter. It might appear confrontational if eleven well armed men and women from the south came in all at once. The rest of you, please find the marketplace and attempt to restock our stores. If any ask, tell them we are on our way to the north-to explore the wild lands north of Ramala."

   The three entered the pub, and the rest of them continued walking on to the marketplace, which was in the center of town. They bought from the cured meat seller, and refreshed their stores of dried biscuits and wines. Aeden looked at a small, neat building on the corner of the market square.

   "Hey Rupert." He mumbled in the boy's ear. "Follow me."

   The two approached the shop and opened the door. The confectioner looked up from her work, a scowl on her face. "Are you here to buy? Or waste my time?"

   Aeden bowed lowed to the woman. "My dear lady. I am honored to meet your acquaintance. I am Lord Rossam, sent by the king of Puertamando himself to tour the northern kingdoms and return with the finest confections and candies that money can buy."

   Her eyes widened, and she wiped her sugary hands on the apron around her ample belly. "Well then come in, come in!" She grabbed their hands and bowed her head many times. She looked at Rupert. "And you? My lord's servant, perhaps?"

   Rupert opened his mouth to respond affirmatively, but Aeden interrupted him, "My good lady! This is Lord Murridock, of the capital city itself! He is cousin to the prince! He is my good friend and I've asked him to join me on this confectionary tour of the north."

   Rupert nodded furiously. "Do you have any daughters, madam?"

   Aeden shot him an amazed look. The woman held her hand to her mouth. "Oh my. Yes! Yes, I have three. Perhaps your age!" she replied, giddy with delight. "Shall I fetch them? They are working out back grinding the flour, but ...."

   Rupert held up his hand, "Unnecessary, madam, we will see them soon enough, I assure you. But please, won't you show us around?" He kissed her hand and placed his thin arm around the woman's shoulders as she giggled, and began showing off her wares.

   Ten minutes later, the two emerged from the shop, hands full of sweet cakes and candies. Aeden opened his sticky mouth, "Wow. You're good."

   "I had a noble as a friend growing up. I learned from the best."

   Aeden mumbled, "And I thought I was good ...."

   They returned to the group and distributed the treats and after fifteen minutes the master healer, Diana and Arturo joined them, having finished their information gathering at the pub.

   "They say there are rumors of an army massing in the south, in our kingdom, and many fear an invasion-from us, Puertamando. Sorties of soldiers have already been seen in these parts and have harassed the outlying areas. The lords of the towns in this part of Volda have put out bounties for any who manage to capture or kill the roving bands of soldiers, and they are amassing their own army. I fear Shiavo has more planned than just capturing a few cities in the south. If nothing is done, there may be war between the kingdoms-for they are right, there is an army amassing in the south, but it is aimed at retaking Elbeth and the other towns. Where are the diplomats?" The man grumbled, as he led the way through to the east of town.

   Diana announced, "Without more information, I think we should continue to the east-the direction the woman soldier told us she had headed. I remember from my youth that there were rumors of abandoned fortresses and towers there from long ago. They are outside the lands of Volda, though, in the wastelands to the east."

   They marched towards the edge of town, but before they managed to leave, guards confronted them. A group of twenty men, well armed with swords, surrounded the travelers. One came forward, his sword pointed straight at the master healer, and said, "By order of his lordship Owen of Volda, you are under arrest and will come with me to the castle."

   With little choice before them, they assented, and followed the soldiers to the castle overlooking the eastern edge of town. It was a grim looking place, made of stone and wood, not as fine as the palaces and fortresses of Elbeth or Ramath or the capital city. They entered, and were forced to part with their swords and any other blades they had hidden.

   Once inside, the chief guard announced, "The lord will see you in his chambers," and escorted them through the double doors that led to the lord's hall. Before them, on an iron throne, sat a young looking man, not more than forty, a noble looking crown on his head, staring at them with tight lips.

   "Leave us." He commanded, looking at the guards.

   The chief guard protested, "But sire, I cannot leave you with these strangers. They may be dangerous."

   The young lord shook his head, "No. They are no danger to me. Do as I command." The guards hesitated, but bowed and retreated through the main doorway.

   The young man stood before them. "You are the master healer, are you not?" The master healer bowed his head slightly, and the young lord continued, "In spite of your present company," he said, giving a sneering look at Diana, who returned no look whatsoever, "I welcome you now. Dangerous times are upon us, as you know. First, I demand to know why the kingdom of the south is preparing an army of invasion. What have we against you to break the trust of the years?"