6.3 Disapprove

"You too." Aeden regarded his friend, his one and really only true friend. The other boys in the city constantly swarmed him, invited him on hunting trips, gave him gifts, and prattled on and on about their fathers' latest acquisition, but Priam was his friend, who he could confide in, who he laughed and shared his dreams with. They nodded curtly to one another and parted.

   Aeden turned to Will, "Go see the steward at once. He has duties for you. When you complete them, return here and equip yourself in armor and a sword, and wait for my father."

   "Yes, my lord." The servant turned and rushed to the front gallery where the steward still sat, quickly scribbling out more muster orders. Aeden, head held high and a bounce in his step, ran up the stairs, thinking he could get used to barking out orders in emergencies. His mother followed, and he finally replied, "I do not know, mother. Even the master healer knows nothing about this army, and he travels widely throughout the kingdom and the neighboring lands. Where is Cassandra?"

   The lady emerged from the stairwell and replied, "In her room. I ordered her quite sternly to stay there when I heard the horns." They strode down the hall, each poking their heads in to the rooms lining both sides, directing the servants to receive orders from the steward. Behind Cassandra's door he heard murmured singing and jabbering-his sister talking to herself as she always did when alone. When the estate had been searched and they returned to the main level of the mansion, she looked at her son tenderly, "Aeden. I'm surprised. You've turned nearly overnight from my boy that sleeps in past breakfast into a seemingly grown man who keeps his head."

   Aeden blushed a bit, sweeping his hand through his hair, "Well, uh ... thank you?" he grinned, the teenage boy peeking through the façade of a man in charge.

   She continued, "Go now and finish preparations. I have other business to attend to." And she spun on her heel and marched back up the stairs.

   He re-entered the gallery just as the last servant bolted out of the room. The steward rose out of his seat, shaking his sore hand. "All are sent out, my lord. What next?"

   "My father ordered us to prepare the armory. We are to bring as many sets of armor and swords and lay them out here, so that as the men arrive they can equip themselves as quickly as possible."

   The two stomped down the stairs to the cellar, and entered the armory. They heard the front door slam open, and Aeden ran back up to see who had arrived. His father, accompanied by a servant, was in the gallery unloading a collection of armor sets from their shoulders. "Thank you, Edward. Now return to your lord." The tall, skinny young man bowed quickly and ran out the door.

   "Where did you get these?" Aeden asked.

   "From Lord Markham. When we concluded our business, he mentioned he had extras." The man grunted as he picked at the knot of the rope tying several sets together.

   "What was your business?"

   "Mainly to arrange a safe place for Lady Rossam and Cassandra to stay, but I will tell you the rest when the crisis is over."

   The two, father and son, worked frantically for an hour or so before their men started to arrive from their fields, stores, and houses. After an hour and a half, twenty-seven men and several women stood in the gallery, equipped for war. Lord Rossam turned to the steward and commanded, "We leave now. Wait here and give orders and equipment to the stragglers." He raised his voice and announced, "We can wait no longer. We march to the castle! Your orders are to defend the castle, and protect the lord and his family at all costs. Go!" The small crowd of people ran out the door and burst out into the front courtyard, aiming for the center of the city. As the gate crashed open, they heard yells and horns coming from the eastern edge of the city. Lord Rossam turned to his son, "They have sighted the army, no doubt. We have little time. Son," he stopped and grabbed Aeden's shoulders, "you must take your mother and sister to the Markham estate, and help the guards there protect the innocents assembled and ..."

   Aeden protested, "But father! I will defend the castle with you! It is my place!"

   "Do as I command!" The lord breathed deeply, and controlled his anger. "It is your place. But, as a champion of the city, I want you there protecting your mother and your sister. I trust no one else. Will you do this for me?" He looked sternly into Aeden's eyes, who met his gaze, and looked down.

   "Yes, father. I will protect them," he murmured.

   "Good. Farewell, my son. We will meet again. We have a great work to do when this is over. We will meet again. Even if it be upon the golden fields-I will meet you when you come." The lord turned and strode off, catching up with his company.

   Aeden rushed back into the house, just in time to see Lady Rossam descend the stairs, fully girded about in warrior's armor, a sword strapped to her back. His jaw dropped. "Mother?" he said in awe.

   "What?" she said as she reached the ground floor. "I'm not going to leave this house to a bunch of brigands!"

   "We are not staying here. Father has made arrangements for us to seek refuge at the Markham estate. Is Cassandra ready?"

   "Yes. I packed you a bag as well, in case we must flee." She tossed him a small backpack. "Cassandra! Come down at once. We must leave."

   Aeden looked outside. Dark clouds hung heavy in the sky, threatening rain. The family left the house, locking the door and the gate behind them. Mid-afternoon approached and the city was in an uproar as people rushed about. Various companies marched to fulfill their orders while vendors closed down their shops, shuttering the doors and windows. The activity rose steadily until the city was in complete pandemonium.

   "Mother, I'm going to the east gate to see what's happening. You two go on to the Markham estate."

   She stared at him sternly, "If I know your father, he would have commanded you to stay and protect me and your sister." She drew his sword and shook it at him. "And protect us you will!"

   "Just for a few minutes, mother, I'll meet you at the estate within twenty. The army is still half an hour away at least." He turned towards the east as his mother looked after him disapprovingly.