9.4 Betha

Aeden looked up at her. It was without a doubt the girl from the Master Healer's mind, the one he could not stop staring at. The bundle of candles slipped out of his hands, and he stumbled to catch them before they struck the ground. In the process he banged his head on the counter and then, hand cradling his forehead, he backed into a weapon rack that spilled its six or seven swords that clattered to the floor. "I'm so sorry! Do forgive my clumsiness, sir!" He bent over to collect the swords and the shopkeeper rushed over to help him, asking him if his head was all right and telling him not to worry about the candles, and yes, the swords were all right, a few scratches but nothing too terrible, and oh how inconsiderate of his daughter to startle him like that.

   When all was set aright, Aeden looked up again at the girl, whose eyes were wide and with mouth half smiling, half frowning, which he later decided was an expression of extreme amusement. "Good day, my lady." He bowed slightly, "My name is Aeden Rossam, second son and heir of his Lordship, the late Lord Alastair Rossam, sixth duke of Elbeth for his majesty the king, and holder of the ancient scepter of King Rossam the second." He said rather stiffly.

    The girl, her expression changed from amusement to one of faint disappointment, replied, pointing to her father, "And I am Betha, daughter of him." She turned to her father, "Papa, do beans and potatoes sound agreeable for supper tonight?"

   "Of course, my love. I will close up the shop in an hour or so."

    "And papa," she leaned towards him and whispered, "I made bread."

   He threw his hands up, grabbed her shoulders and kissed her forehead. "What's the occasion?"

   "Because I love you." She kissed his forehead back, "And don't forget papa, I train with the society tonight. I don't expect to return until near midnight." Aeden, never looking away from her, widened his eyes at the mention of the society.

   Her father nodded, "Yes, yes, I remember. Just do be careful and remember the danger that is all about us in these evil days."

   Aeden piped in, "You study with the healers?"

   Betha glanced at him sharply "Yes. Pleased to meet your highness." And curtly turned to walk out of the shop.

   "Wait! Don't call me that. I'm not royalty. And, and, well, I was studying with the healers too. In Elbeth."

   She stopped and turned to face him. "Really. You? A healer? You looked more like a swordsman to me a moment ago. Healers don't take lives, they give it."

   Aeden frowned. "Well I would not expect a shopkeeper's daughter to know any better. No disrespect meant to you, sir, of course." He said, bowing slightly and rather awkwardly to the man. "But for your knowledge, I was approached by the Master Healer himself not two fortnights ago with his solicitations to join his society of healers, and he has since been training me personally ever since."

    She folded her arms, and replied with delicious sarcasm, "Oh. My apologies your majesty. I have been a member of the society for seven years now, and am apprentice to swordmaster Arturo, but I had no idea that he would accept into the society a royal ... er, gentleman, such as yourself, being as you no doubt are concerned with far more pressing issues like the contents of your royal armory and the number of your household staff. Good evening." She turned once more and left the shop in a hurry.

   He turned to the shopkeeper. "My apologies, sir, I spoke rashly, and did not mean to demean your station in life. Your daughter-she is quite beautiful."

   The man smiled and nodded, "No offense taken, my boy. You've been through enough the past few weeks. Do not worry about a thing, besides your lost loved ones and your mother. A healer too, hmm? My daughter is perceptive-I did not see you as a healer when you walked through my door. But, looks may lie. I am honored to have another healer in my house. You are most welcome to return any time you need anything at all-you need not bring any money with you here." And, arm around Aeden's shoulders, he guided him to the front door to see him off.

   Aeden paused at the door, "Sir, do you know where your daughter meets with the other healers?" "Yes," the man started, "yes, there is the healer's hall, of course, but I believe the young ones gather at a place beyond the city gates in the countryside. Go out the gate and turn south. After a few farms you will see a vast field, amidst which lies a small grove of trees. They meet there every few days to practice their healing art. But I repeat my warning to my daughter: do be careful. If you go there, you are outside the protection of the city gates, and we are in dangerous times as you well know."

   Aeden bowed again in farewell, "Thank you, father, for your kindness." and slipped out the door, looking south.