Chapter 24

I lean against the doorframe and nod. I already know who I want on my team, but I still scan the crowd of transfers, feigning indecision. I do it briefly, though, without any calculations of size, strength, speed, and agility. "I want the Stiff." Several people laugh, but my eyes stay locked on Tris. Her face flushes, though from embarrassment or flattery I'm not sure.

"Got something to prove?" Eric asks, smirking. "Or are you just picking the weak ones so that if you lose, you have someone to blame it on?"

I shrug and glance over at Tris. "Something like that." Tris looks pissed, no doubt from what I said. She scowls at her hands, and I wish I could assure her that she is definitely not weak.

"Your turn." I say.

"Peter." Eric looks smug. 

"Christina." Tris isn't the only one that seems taken aback.

"Molly."

"Will."

"Al."

"Drew."

"The last one left is Myra, so she's with me." Eric says, and I shrug. Myra's sort of weak, and she'll be making out with Edward the entire time. Not my problem. "Dauntless-born initiates next."

Tris seems to realize what my strategy is less than halfway through the Dauntless-borns. I'm picking the more agile, or aerodynamic, you could say. Tris covers her mouth with her hand, hiding what I think is a smile, judging by the way her eyes gleam.

We finish choosing teams, and Eric smirks at me. I'm very aware of Tris, her head a little behind and to the right of my right shoulder. "You can get off second." says Eric.

"Don't do me any favors." I allow myself to grin, knowing that my team will more than likely find this amusing. "You know I don't need them to win." I'm only stating the facts.

"No, I know you'll lose no matter when you get off," He bites one of his lip rings, the only sign that he knows that we'll win for sure. "Take your scrawny team and get off first."

Scrawny? I think. I've got Uriah and Will. I almost laugh at him calling my team scrawny, especially with Uriah and Will on my team, but I push it down and get ready to jump off the train.

Time to kick Eric's ass.

Again.