Chapter 6

After dinner I go to the control room. Harrison asked me to go there when I was finished eating, since there was something I needed to fix. Zeke had volunteered to handle the initiates, but Lauren had shot him a glare and said that it's not his job, and that she'll show them the ropes for me. Then Eric said that he'll do it. A bad idea, but I didn't object. You keep your mouth shut around Eric if you know what's best for you.

In the control room it was a simple fix. The problem took me less than five minutes to figure out, and then I went back to my apartment. I immediately lay down on my bed, exhaustion finally catching up to me. I quickly calculate every initiate's odds of becoming an official Dauntless member. Everyone has a pretty good chance, except Tris.

She was Abnegation. Therefore, she is smaller than the others. Not just in height, but also in weight and strength. Unless she can do well in stage one and get a really good time in her fear landscape and the fear simulations, then she'll come in ninth at best. I don't think she'd be able to work well with the factionless. I'm not doubting her odds of surviving with them. I just don't believe that they'd accept her. She's too...headstrong, I guess. But even that doesn't fit her.

I think about my plans to leave once this intiation is done. My stomach twists into disgusted knots, and for a minute I'm confused. Then I realize why. 

It's her, I think. I can't leave her.

I want to say that I feel like I should stay and if anything, protect her. She is small and was an Abnegation, and the others will consider her an easy target. But saying that wouldn't be right. So then why do I not want to leave?