Chapter 18

A/N: The chapters will get longer once I start using the book again. These were prewritten, so I can't really make them longer.

Irritation flashes over Tris's features for a second, but it's gone so fast that I could've imagined it. 

Peter looks at her and his face turns into a mask of mock sympathy. "Feeling okay there? Or are you a little...Stiff?" He, Molly, and Drew start cackling hystericallly. Well, Peter's the only one with a normal laugh. Molly snorts like a pig, and Drew laughs silently so his laughter could be mistaken for gasps of pain. He looks like he's just been shot or something.

"We are all awed by your incredible wit." Will says, sarcasm dripping from his words. 

"Yeah, are you sure you don't belong with the Erudite, Peter?" Christina adds. "I hear they don't object to sissies." Well, I can see why Tris is friends with those two. Christina and Will sit close to each other, closer than what could be passed off as 'just friends'. Like how Zeke and Shauna sat next to each other during our initiation.

I start talking before Peter can reply. "Am I going to have to listen to your bickering all the way to the fence?" My tone is clipped and harsh. Everyone falls silent, and I turn back to the opening. I hold the handles on either side of the opening, my body mostly outside of the car. I keep my feet planted firmly on the floor, knowing what could happen if I don't but not really caring. I feel someone watching me and glance back to see Tris's eyes on me.

She doesn't look at me like she afraid of me, or like I'm nothing, or even that she's worried about my safety. It's more curiousity, as if I'm a puzzle that she can't quite put together. I can't really explain how I feel with her watching me; I can only describe it as freefalling, or flying, despite the fact that I'm afraid of heights.

I hear Christina and Will start talking behind me, Tris occassionally adding in her opinion. Even though I can't hear what she's saying, I know that her answers are half-hearted and that she's barely paying attention to them. But I don't feel her eyes leave my back once. At least, not until we reach the fence.