Chapter 17

I'm out by the train tracks an hour before the initiates arrive. They slowly trickle out of the building in small groups, talking in quiet whispers and occassionally glancing at me. Tris and Christina are no where to be seen for several minutes. Then they come running up out of the building, squinting from the bright light out here. Tris winces with every step, but she tries to cover it up. She'll have a hard time getting into the train car. It doesn't take an Erudite doctor to see that.

I stand in front of the initiates, and Christina seems a little surprised by how close I stand to the tracks. If I move an inch towards it, I would hook onto a passing train and be flung like a rag doll.

The train comes, and I move back to allow the initiates to get on first. I notice that Will has some difficulty pulling himself in, but makes it. I grab the handle and easily swing in. Tris jogs next to the car and reaches out, her hand closing around the handle. A look of pain flashes across her face, but then it disappears. I move to help her, but Al gets there first, grabbing her under her arms and hoisting her in. Something like jealousy whips through me, but I shake it off. I see no point in being jealous about helping an initiate into a train car. But then again Al does look at her like he thinks of her as more than a friend...

You are her instructor, Four! I scold myself. Knock it off! My head knows that it's the logical thing to do, but for some reason it feels like my blood is replaced with adrenaline when she even just walks into the room.

God, I'm hopeless.