Chapter 7

"The first thing you will learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight." The initiates are lined up in a row facing the targets. I hand each one a gun as I walk down the line, not looking at any of them. "Thankfully, if you are here, you already know how to get on and off a moving train, so I don't need to teach you that.

"Initiation is divided into three stages. We will measure your progress and rank according to your performance in each stage. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it is possible, though difficult, to drastically improve your rank over time."

Every initiate has their eyes glued to me, except Tris, who stares down at the gun in her hand. "We believe that preparation eradictates cowardice, which we define as failure in the midst of fear." I'm basically repeating what I heard my own initiation instructor as well as Lauren say before. "Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first stage is primarily physical; the second, primarily emotional; the third, primarily mental."

"But what..." A Candor transfer named Peter yawns through his words. "What does firing a gun have to do with...bravery?"

Irritated and not thinking of the possible consequences for my actions, I flip the gun in my hand, press the barrel of the gun to his forehead, and click a bullet into place