Chapter 40

Harrison calls me down to the computer room right when I get back to my apartment. Said there was a computer that crashed, and he can't start it up again.

I sit down at the computer in front of the black screen. He watches as I type in a few commands. Nothing. I try again, and still nothing. The reaction is the same for several tries- I've wasted two hours here already- until my finger slips while doing another command. The screen lights up, and I look up at Harrison.

"Well, that did it." He shrugs. I nod in agreement.

"Looks like it needed a mistake to get it." I mutter. I type in a few codes to unlock it before pushing back from the computer and standing up. 

"Thanks for getting it, Four."

I shrug. "No problem. That's my job, right?"

He nods some. "But right now you're an instructor."

"It's no big deal." I wave it off. "Not like I have to grade them or anything. See you later, Harrison."

"Later, Four."

I walk out and down towards the Pit. The height is dizzying, but like always, I ignore my fear. The glass is bulletproof and has held up over a hundred Dauntless at once. I think I'm good. So instead I think about how the Dauntless-borns and transfers will be ranked at the end of initiation.

It isn't until I'm not too far from the Chasm that I hear the scream.

I run for where I heard it come from and see Peter, Al, and Drew. There's a girl on the ground, her eyes blindfolded, and she has long blonde hair and light skin. Tris. Al runs away the second he sees me- coward- and I knock Drew to the ground. He's unconscious, but I kick him a few times just to make sure.

I turn and see Peter holding Tris by her neck over the Chasm. She tries to kick him, but her legs aren't long enough. They hit empty air. I kick Peter in the side- hard- and he lets out a shout as he hits the ground. I pick him up by his shirt and hit him several times. Drew gets up to help him, but I grab his arm and twist it backwards. He falls to the ground and lays there, screaming in agony.

I kick and punch Peter until he's on the ground, unconsious. He falls on top of Drew, which would actually be quite funny if they hadn't just tried to murder another initiate.

I hurry over to Tris, anger still clouding my better judgement. I should take her to the infirmary, but I can't. She blinks a few times, trying to stay away. "Four," she gasps. She closes her eyes, and I wrap my arms around her and pull her over to the safe side of the railing. I ease an arm under her knees- my God, she weighs almost nothing- and start to carry her to my apartment. I need to make sure that she's okay.

She presses her face into my shoulder, and after a few minutes of walking she's unconscious.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I return to the Chasm to find Peter gone and Drew lying on the ground, unconscious and bleeding. Unsure of what else to do, I throw him over my shoulder and bring him to the infirmary. Drew mutters something incoherent, something about just trying to scare her. I don't buy it.

"My goodness! What the hell happened to him?" Natalia, a nurse, asks in astonishment.

I shake my head, playing the bewildered instructor card. "I don't know. I think him and another initiate got into a fight. I just found him on the ground."

She nods, and someone brings out a gurney. "We'll have the doctor check on him. But my God, this kid picked a fight with the wrong person."

I nod in agreement. "That he did."