Chapter 27

"I can't believe I missed it!" Will exclaims, shaking his head. Christina says something to him, and then Al groans and says something about being on the 'other team'. Will says something back and then asks Christina to let him see the flag, which I only know since she hands it to him.

Peter, Molly, and Drew sit with their backs and chests covered in blue and pink paint. The trio speak quietly, sneaking looks at Tris's group- especially Christina.

Uriah joins Tris, Al, Will, and Christina, Marlene trailing behind him. They must have made up. Uriah asks Tris about climbing the Ferris wheel, to which Tris replies with a slight smile. 

"Pretty smart of you. Like...Erudite smart," Marlene says. "I'm Marlene." I'm not sure if Tris will take the Erudite comment as a compliment or an insult. Judging by the kind way that she smiles at Marlene and introduces herself as well, she took it as a compliment.

I see Uriah take a pink paintball from his gun, holding it between his thumb and index finger. The train lurches to the left, and I see Uriah fall against Tris. His fingers squeeze the paintball- on purpose, no doubt- and pink paint sprays into Tris's face.

Marlene collapses next to Uriah in a fit of giggling, and Tris wipes some paint from her face slowly, then gets an idea and smears it on Uriah's cheek. He lets out an 'Ew!' as a joke and squeezes paint at her again, but it sprays into his mouth instead of onto her. He coughs and makes exaggerated gagging sounds, making Tris and Marlene both laugh.

Tris wipes her face with her sleeve, the pink now looking red-ish, almost like blood. It would look intimidating on her, but she's smiling and laughing so hard that she's doubled over, so it takes away from the effect. 

I turn away from the initiates and look back out towards the city, which not that long ago I had seen from the Ferris wheel. I'm still confused about what happened up there. When I try to tell myself that I'm her instructor and I wanted to make sure that she didn't kill herself, I feel like I'm lying to myself. So then why did I follow her up, even with my fear of heights?