Chapter 19

The train's breaks make a horrible shrieking noise as the train slows. The initiates all lurch forward, but I somehow manage to stand my ground. The buildings of the city have disappeared, replaced with open, grassy fields and rusted old traintracks. The train stops under an awning and the initiates pile out. Tris, Christina, and Myra all use the handles to help them out. The guys and Molly just hop off the train. Idiots. That's how you break your ankle.

Tris is the only one that really takes note of our surroundings, her blue-gray eyes taking in every little detail. She keeps one eye on the Dauntless guards and their guns. 

"Follow me." I say and lead them to the gate, which is the width of an average house and opens to a cracked dirt-and-asphalt road. "If you don't rank in the top five at the end of initiation, you'll probably end up here." I say when I reach the gate. "Once you are a fence guard, there is some potential for advancement, but not much. You may be able to go on patrols beyond Amity's farms, but-"

"Patrols for what purpose?" Will, who is still clinging to his Erudite ways, asks. What is up with these damn initiates and interrupting me? Last year's group cowered if I so much as glanced at them, for God's sake.

I lift a shoulder. "I suppose you'll discover that if you find yourself among them. As I was saying. For the most part, those who guard the fence when they are young continue to guard the fence. If it comforts you, some of them insist it isn't as bad as it seems." I see Christina whisper something to Tris, but I don't bother calling her out on it. Considering Edward and Myra are usually sucking each others' faces off and I ignore them, I let it go.

"What rank were you?" Peter asks. I know he's expecting me to say that I was fourth or something.

I look levelly at him for a minute before responding. "I was first."