18.3 Compensate

They waited for close to an hour, seeing nothing.

   "I didn't hear that man breathing. Did you?" Frederick asked.

   "Yes," Aeden answered, "I heard him. But I thought he was beyond saving, and plus, we had more pressing things to think about at the moment, wouldn't you agree?"

   They waited longer, just to be sure. Frederick wondered aloud, "I wonder who those brigands were? I've traveled the roads and have heard of thieves and highwaymen-met one once-but I had never heard that they traveled in groups before. Kinda funny, don't you think?"

   Aeden had not thought of that. "You're right. That is strange." His head snapped to his left as movement on the road caught his attention, but saw only a coyote dash across it. He exhaled in relief. "So you and Darla?"

   Frederick grinned, "Me and Darla, what?"

   "Known her a long time?"

   "A few years. She and her family moved to Ramath many years ago, and we met when I joined the society after I turned twenty. That was five years ago. Smoking hot, isn't she?" He blew on his hand and shook it, biting his lower lip.

   Aeden burst out laughing at the display. "She's a little of a handful, though, isn't she?"

   Frederick sighed, "Yes. A big, fiery hot, blissful handful of awesome."

   Aeden rolled his eyes at the older boy. "Well she's got quite the friend. The first time I looked at Betha, I about lost it. I fumbled around and stuttered a bit ..."

   "Sounds awfully Aeden-like to me. Come on, let's go."

   The boys rose to their feet and began the hike back to the group. Frederick went on, "Yeah, Betha is one of a kind, like Darla, but different. I've known her for just as long. The two of them are inseparable-they both were basically born into the society, Betha's father had been a member for years when she was born, and Darla's parents both were as well. They're both strong, tough, excellent fighters, beautiful, but Betha is not as rough or sarcastic or irreverent like Darla. I guess that's why I like her. She reminds me of me! And who couldn't be attracted to me? Look at you. Even you're blushing just by standing next to me!"

   Aeden opened his mouth in protest, but couldn't help but chuckle breathlessly. They arrived in the camp at last, Darla running up to them and jumping into Frederick's arms, "Oh my honey! I've been so worried for you! What if you had scratched your bloated ego without me there?"

   "I'm here, my darling. Nothing shall hurt you now. Except for me, of course, but you knew that already."

   They swept away, and Aeden approached the others. Betha gave him a look, and continued cutting up some salted meat to serve to the others.

   Aeden sat next to Rupert, who filled him in, "Diana says that we've come further east than she thought, and hadn't expected to be near Turku."

   "Is that bad?" whispered Aeden.

   "Not exactly. Diana is about as anti-nobility as they come in the society, and Turku just happens to be the seat of power of one of the great noble families of Volda. The fact that she insulted the lady there is why she moved to Ramala, and then to Ramath."

   "Oh. Great. Now we just have to avoid the brigands on the road, steer clear of any stone-faced soldiers, hide from the nobles of Turku as we pass through their town, all while finding the warlard, secretly killing him so his army doesn't attack us en masse ... am I missing anything?"

   Rupert's face screwed up and asked, "Did you just call him the warlard?"

   "Yeah. It's what Frederick and Darla call him. It just stuck." He bent over and, unbuckling his sheaths, stuffed his weapons under his bedding. "I'm just worried that when we get to the compound and find out it really is some fat guy controlling the armies of doom that I'll double over laughing, and then he gets me." Aeden sliced his finger across his throat. 

   "Frederick is weird." Rupert said, eliciting a raised eyebrow from Aeden, who simply patted his friend's shoulder and got up to talk to the master healer.

   The old man welcomed him back and said, "Foolish boy. Again. But at least this time you bring useful news. I'm not sure which is worse-the fact that we've come too far east and stumbled upon the town of Turku, or that brigands are now banding together."

   "Frederick wondered the same thing. What could it mean? The brigands, I mean."

   The master healer stroked his beard, "I do not know. Thieves usually travel alone or maybe in twos, for protection. But in groups? That cuts down on profits."

   "And why are you worried about Turku? Is it that Diana is not well liked by the nobility there?"

   The man nodded, "Yes. That complicates things if we want to pass through their kingdom on her recognizance. The people of Volda don't usually prefer strangers visiting their lands. They are even distrustful of healers-especially so, since we are viewed as witches and sorcerers there. But having Diana with us, we had hoped we could pass through anywhere we wished. We still might-we shall just have to keep a lower profile. A lower profile, I should say."

   Aeden sat next to the man. "Master, if Betha's father were still in the society, would he be on the Elder Council?"

   The master healer sat in silence for several moments before answering, "Probably. Before Alastair died, he confided to me that he wanted Solfim Solvinstra to replace him on the council. After his death however, several council members opposed his appointment, Clara included, and we chose Glory Evilspeak instead ..." Aeden gaped at the man, "... I assure you she is quite pleasant, despite the unfortunate name."

   "Did he object?"

   "He agreed, deeming her more prepared for the task, but he would have done just fine. Solfim is very gentle and soft spoken, and perhaps did not speak up for himself as he should have. Betha, just nine at the time, nearly ran away from home she was so angry at him for not trying to get the position she thought he deserved. Ever since then she seems to have acquired enough ambition for the both of them, and when I officially invited her to join, the first question out of her eleven year old mouth was, "how old do you have to be to get on the Elder Council?" I laughed, but seeing her stare at me, frowning, made me glad she didn't have her sword handy. Needless to say, she has been quite involved in society affairs for many years now, always volunteering for local missions, begging to sit in on Council meetings and such."

   "She seems very capable. And such a good cook ..." Aeden trailed off, staring absent mindedly at the girl who was engaged with Gregory in conjuring up yet another meal for the company.