Chapter 24: The Key On My Finger

-Lucy P.O.V-
We arrived at the destination soon enough. I got out first, followed by Arya, then Natsu.
"Thank you," Arya said, smiling sweetly.
"It's fine, really. It's our job," I replied. A man hurried out of the tall building we had ended up in, holding sheets of paper and files tucked in his arm.
"Hello, miss," he said, panting. "If would would come this way, please."
She nodded, then waved us goodbye. We waved back, and watched her safely enter the building.
Suddenly, Mr. Campbell was behind us.
"You did an amazing job," he said. "Here's the payment that was arranged." He handed us a black suitcase. Natsu took it from him, grinning.
"Right," I said. "We'll get going"
"Would you like the carriage to take-" he stopped mid sentence, shocked, as I grew my wings out behind me.
"Bye!" I said. Then, I grabbed Natsu by the arm, and shot up into the sky.
"You're lucky I'm not as heavy as you..." Natsu said under his breath. I loosened my grip on his arm, as he began to slip down.
"You sure you wanna say that?" I asked, smirking.
"O-Ok!...You're...s-super light!" He stuttered, grabbing onto me.
"Hm..." I said, thinking. "I guess that's good enough." I tightened my grip on him, and he relaxed.
"Heh heh..." He said, sighing. "Lucy, tomorrow..."
"Yeah?" I asked.
"I wanna take the day off. Spend some time with Nashi."
"Yeah. That would be nice," I replied, smiling.

We arrived home shortly. As soon as we entered the house, a maid appeared, holding Nashi.
Natsu gasped, happy to see her, and took her out of the maid's arms. I picked the up the suitcase that he had left on the floor, and gave it to another maid, who went to put it away with the rest of our money.
I then went to join Natsu, who was stroking her small, fuchsia pink curls at the top of her head.
"Put her down, Natsu," I said. "Let's see if she can walk."
I stepped back a few metres, and Natsu put Nashi on the floor, standing up.
"Now come to mommy, baby," I said, patting my knees like she was a dog.
"M-Mommy!" She said, reaching out. Then, her leg moved up, and her foot stepped forward. I gasped with excitement. "That's it! Good girl!" I said, smiling.
"Daddy..." She muttered. "Hand?"
Then she put her hand out to Natsu, who was standing next to her. As first he looked confused, but then he laughed.
"Of course I'll hold your hand," he said, intertwining his fingers with hers. "Now let's go to mommy." They both started making small steps towards me. Other members of staff had noticed that Nashi was walking for the first time, and had started to gather round. Spetto was at the front, clapping her hands with joy. With the spare hand that Nashi had free, she reached out for me. I also held my arm out, as I cheered her on. She made her last step, and grabbed my hand. All the staff watching started to cheer, as I hugged Nashi tightly.
"You're such a good girl!" I cried happily. Nashi giggled in my arms, as Natsu joined in on the hug. Then we all fell onto the floor on top of each other, laughing. Nashi sat on both of our chests, as me and Natsu lay next to each other.
"Our beautiful girl," I said, stroking her cheek.
"Our beautiful Nashi," Natsu repeated, smiling.
"Love you, mommy," she said quietly. "Love you, daddy."

-Evening- Still Lucy P.O.V-
Nashi had been put to bed, and I was sitting on the balcony, in a silk dressing gown. The curtains blew wildly from the back door, as I stated into the setting sun.
"May I join?" Said a voice. I turned softly, to see Natsu peeking through the door frame. I laughed, as he walked over.
"You know, your intelligence has almost doubled since I had Nashi," I said, as he sat down. He tapped his forehead, and raised his eyebrows.
"Father instinct," he replied, grinning. I shook my head and rolled my eyes sarcastically, smiling back.
"Look at this view..." I said, gazing ahead of me.
"Lucy..." Natsu interrupted. He stood up, and smiled at me. Then he held his hand out.
"Is...everything ok?" I said, taking his hand. He lifted me up to my feet, as I stared at him with confusion. Then, he let go of my hand, and got down on one knee.
I gasped, and put my hand over my mouth.
"Really?" I asked, tears forming at the corner of my eyes.
"Lucy..." He repeated, getting out a small box. He held it up, and clicked it open. And the ring...
"I-I recognise that..." I said, leaning in. The key was rose gold, and neatly patterned with rose gold leaves.
"It's your- well, it was- you celestial key," he said. "I paid the best blacksmiths I could find to mould your celestial key into a ring. And, it took them two years."
"Y-You kept it? All that time?" I asked, my tears streaming.
"Lucy, you are the key to my happiness. You are the key to my world," he said softly. "So, would you share it with me?"
"Yes!" I cried, falling into his arms. "A thousand yes's...always..."
"I love you, Lucy..." He whispered into my ear.
"I love you more," I replied, almost laughing with happiness.
"Also, did I keep my promise?" He asked. "Was that good enough?"
"Of course you did," I replied. I left his embrace, and he slipped the ring onto my finger.
"It fits perfectly," I muttered, gazing at it.
"I got it personally fitted for your finger," Natsu added. "Also, it's kinda linked to your body. Being your celestial key and all that. Even though your not a spirit-"
"It doesn't matter," I said, laughing. "We love each other. That's all that matters."
"Yeah," he replied. "And Nashi is the cherry on the cake."
I kissed Natsu gently, and held his cheek. He started to tangle his fingers in my hair, as he leaned back onto the chair, with me on top of him.
I smiled happily, as our kiss came to an end.
"Hey, Natsu..." I muttered, looking out into the sun. "How do you think they're doing?"
I didn't need to explain. Natsu already understood who I was talking about.
"I bet they're doing great. Maybe, when Nashi is older...we'll visit sometime." He replied.
"Yeah," I said, smiling. I then held my right hand out, and stared at the gold fairy tail mark that still remained. Natsu reached out, and put his hand over mine.
"I wonder...what it would've been like..." I trailed off, unable to finish my sentence.
"Whether we left or stayed doesn't matter, remember? Our family is all that matters," He said, smiling at me. I smiled back, but my mind stayed in my thoughts.
Back then...they were my family.
"Let's go to bed," I muttered, standing up. "We'll celebrate more...inside."
Natsu raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?" He asked. I held my arm out, and as he took it, I pulled him into the bedroom.

-Morning- Natsu P.O.V-
"Hey, Natsu!"
I opened my eyes slowly. Lucy was leaning over me, smiling.
"Do you wanna learn piano?" She asked eagerly. I sat up, squinting.
"What's with this sudden attitude?" I replied, rubbing my eyes.
"I have an idea," she said. I looked down, to see that she'd slipped on some pyjamas.
"Ok, let me get dressed first," I said, getting out of bed. I walked over to the dresser, and grabbed a vest and a pair of trousers, then quickly put them on. Lucy grabbed my arm, and hurried me out of the room. We ran down the various hallways together, and reached the piano room, which was next to the ball room.
"We're never gonna use this ball room, Lucy..." I muttered, as we walked through it.
"There'll be a day, Natsu," Lucy replied, smiling. She sat down onto the white and gold piano, and patted the other side of the stool.
"Come on!" She said, happily. I sighed, laughing, then sat down next to her. "Now put your hands here," she added, placing her hands gently on the keys. I followed her instructions, and put my fingers on top of hers.
"Now follow my hands." She began to play softly, the keys playing a peaceful tune.
This was the song she played on the violin, two years ago. I thought. She smiled as she played, the memory clearly flooding back to her as well. I moved my hands along with hers, trying to memorise the keys.
"Uh...this is harder than I thought..." I muttered, sweat dropping.

-1 Hour Later-
"Right, now try it all together," Lucy said, getting off the piano stool. "I won't help you this time."
I placed my fingers in the starting position, laughing.
"I'll be better than you ever were," I replied, smiling. I began to play, the notes coming to me like second nature. After a few seconds, I heard the sweet sound of strings. I turned, to see Lucy, playing the violin.
"This was you idea?" I asked. She nodded excitedly.
"Doesn't it sound beautiful?" She replied, smiling. I smiled back, as we both played the tune in harmony. The sound of the two instruments combined perfected the sound; as if the song was born to be played this way.
"Natsu...we'll have to go back soon," Lucy said, blankly. We both stopped playing, and I faced her.
"Lucifer hasn't disappeared- all we're doing is stalling the inevitable. I don't want Nashi to get mixed up in this."
"And she won't," I replied. "We'll go back when she turns three- two more years. She'll be old enough then to understand- to a certain extent."
"Only two more years?" She whispered. Tears appeared in the corner of her eyes. "She deserves more than that-"
"I know." I stood up, and placed my hand on her shoulder. "But we can't hide forever."
Lucy nodded, sniffing. "She'll be a strong girl," she said, smiling up at me.
"Yeah. Stronger than anyone." I replied.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, that's chapter 24! THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED!! Sorry, just had a major fangirl moment over my own book...wow...
Right, I'm probably gonna timeskip like 3 months just so I can write about their wedding day :D because I think that's definitely worth writing about. Also, the reason they had Nashi before they got married is because I wanted to make Nashi a really cute bridesmaid :)
Well that's it for 24. As always...
THANKS FOR READING, AND I HOPE YOU ENJOYED!! Xxxx