Chapter 30: The Angelus

-Lucy P.O.V-
"It's time...to tell you everything."
"Everything?" I asked. "Why now?"
"Because you don't have much time left." Lucifer replied. His expression was grave.
"You remember what I told you, right? About the books of G.O.D, and the history of angels..."
"Yeah, I remember..." I replied, quite nervous.
Not much time left?... I thought. What does he mean?
"Lucy, I'm going to start from day one. You were sent to capture me, right? Because I was messing with the celestial world."
I nodded, listening carefully.
"As I told you, I instantly knew you were Layla's daughter, and an angel, the minute I met you. I...panicked. I didn't want to hurt you...but I already had. By hitting you with magic from the books of G.O.D, I awakened your powers. That's why your blood was human, and red, before you met me. And that's why you were glowing when Natsu returned you to the guild. It was because an extreme amount of power had been awakened inside of you. Do you understand so far?"
"I'll save the questions till the end," I replied.
"That's fine. Let's keep going," he continued. "I didn't want you to hurt yourself, but I knew you wouldn't trust me if I asked you to fight me. You see, the amount of power you have has to be used. Otherwise, it'll build up inside of you, and you'll be unable to bear it. So, I made myself out as the enemy. I made sure you were always using up the energy that was pumping through your veins. But, there was also a need to balance it. You see, the war that played out all those years ago, there was a major factor that caused the Angels to riot. It was a transformation that was nicknamed 'Angelus', which means Angel in Latin. It's when an angel reaches full power. For a reason unknown, when an angel becomes angelus...they lose control. They just...don't care anymore."
My eyes widened.
Don't care anymore?
"I'll be honest with you, Lucy. My father was a demon. I was just like you. When I was little, both my parents died. I have the blood from an era that existed thousands of years ago. I'm cursed. We're cursed. I don't know why your mother survived or why she was an angel, and I can't even remember my father, so I missed the chance to find out about him, either. All I know is that we don't belong here."
"B-But I have a family..." I muttered. "I don't understand..."
"You do understand, Lucy," Lucifer replied. "You just refuse to accept it. Lucy, if you continue to fight...you'll become Angelus. And then...it'll be too late."
"I'll just stay out of the way, then...I won't even raise a sword-"
"The government are searching for you again."
I froze, as the sentence filled me with horror.
Four years...and it's like I never left.
"I'm going to pretend to play the villain for a while. And you have to play along. It'll be easier for your friends, when it's the final battle. And, Lucy...do you want to know why you have to save the world? Because I know that when the time comes to it, I won't have the guts to end my own life. So I decided to trust you to do it. Lucy, you have to save the world from us."
Before I even had time to react, the doors to the office burst open. Natsu, Erza, and Gray barged in, their faces full on concern.
"Lucy! Are you okay?" Natsu asked.
But I couldn't reply- everything began to kick in. It all started to fit together like a puzzle- and I was the centre piece. My knees gave out, as more tears began to fall. By this point, I was surprised I still had tears left to shed. I felt Natsu's arms around me, but I was motionless. I was dead inside.

-Natsu P.O.V-
I held tightly onto Lucy- her body was cold and still. If I hadn't seen her move earlier, I would of assumed her dead.
"What did you do to her?!" I shouted angrily.
Lucifer grinned, and gestured his hand upwards.
"Take her if you want. She's of no use to me," he snickered. I was so angry, I could almost feel my blood boiling.
"Why do you treat her like a toy?!" I said.
"I don't know how she's managed to stay strong after all the crap you've put her through...and you had no reason to do so!"
Lucifer spun around in his chair, and did not reply.
"I said take her," Lucifer muttered. "She knows what to do."
I glared at Lucifer, then put Lucy's arm over my shoulder and helped her up.
"Come on guys," I muttered. "Oh, and Lucifer?"
"Hm?" He murmured.
"You better be out of this house the minute we leave," I demanded. "It's ours."