Chapter 34: The End Of The Angel

-Lucy P.O.V-
It began. I vanished, and appeared before him. Instantly I struck, and Lucifer held up his sword to dodge. However, the force of the blow sent him flying backwards. I stood where he had stood, staring blankly at him. He coughed blood as he got back up, then charged towards me. It then became one the quickest sword fights in history. Clash after clash, and suddenly we were in the air. Then we were fist fighting, and then back to swords...I was wondering if Natsu was able to keep up. I sliced my sword towards Lucifer's head, however he quickly dodged. The sword sliced everything behind it, from trees to mountains. He stared at the damage my sword has caused, fear struck in his eye.

-Natsu P.O.V-
I watched in horror. I thought I'd prepared myself, that I would be ready...
But really, how can you prepare for something like this?
Lucy stood in front of me, fighting the most intense battle I'd ever seen- and yet it wasn't Lucy at all. It was someone I barely recognised. The power was immeasurable- if she wanted, she could destroy every single member of fairy tail in an instant.
So why was she fighting?
To amuse herself?
"Lucy..." I whispered. I didn't want to take my eyes off the battle- just in case I miss something. I suddenly felt something on my hand, so I looked down. I saw Nashi, her hand grabbing mine tightly.
"Mommy's changed," she said calmly, with a hint of sadness. "I want her back."
I stared into Nashi's beautiful blue eyes, as I began to tear up.
"Daddy wants her back too," I muttered.

-Erza P.O.V-
Was there even a point to us being here? Were we just watching, waiting...for the inevitable? The end?
"Gray," I muttered. He half looked at me, his eyes desperate to watch the battle. "I think we should leave," I whispered.
"What? Why?!" He replied, now staring at me right in the face.
"This fight's gonna get dangerous," I said. "We're already quite far, and I can feel the power from here every time their swords touch."
"We can't just leave Lucy-"
"That," I said, pointing to the battle. "Is not Lucy."
His eyes widened, but I knew he agreed.
"But what about Natsu? You really think he's gonna leave?" Gray asked.
I sighed, and shook my head. I then walked over to Warren, and told him to pass a message to fairy tail through telepathy.
"Tell them to move back. This fight's gonna get dangerous soon," I said. He nodded, and after a few seconds every one began to move back. Well, all except Natsu, who didn't move an inch. He stood there with Nashi, staring up the battle, and watching the mother and wife they had once loved become the enemy.

-Lucy P.O.V-
Strike. Strike again. Kill.
My eyes half closed with boredom, I blocked every one of Lucifer's attacks. As he went to block one of mine, I swerved round and dug my blade in his shoulder. He cried out in pain, and jumped back wards. We were both suspended in the air, but I guess at this stage gravity didn't do much.
"Fight," I said, with no emotion. He held his shoulder, as blood began to pour out. He then glared at me with hatred, and charged again. Simple, simple tricks...
Why wasn't I ending this?
Was the other one stopping me?
The one who wanted to save everyone?
The stupid, weak girl...
I will end this. Now.
I threw my sword in the air. As it spun violently, it grew almost twice it's size and erupted in black flames. I caught it by the handle as it swung back down, and aimed it for Lucifer's heart.

-Erza P.O.V-
She's planning to end it.
"Natsu!" I shouted. I was about to run to him, but he shook his head.
"I know. Just...just hang on," he muttered. He was watching desperately- waiting for that tiny chance that Lucy would survive this.

-Lucy P.O.V-
I readied the sword carefully. I released all my energy into the blade, causing the flames to roar and thrash. As I was preparing, I noticed that Lucifer was also aiming his sword. Knowing that I could dodge, I ignored it, and pulled my sword back. I then inhaled, and charged. I was in front of him at record speed, and instantly pierced his heart without hesitation. I could see his sword coming towards my own chest, I could see where I had to dodge-
But I did not move.
W-What?! I thought, confused. Don't tell me...it's her...
The blade went straight through my body. I choked, as blood leaked from my wound. I looked up at Lucifer, who was smiling as blood trickled from his mouth.
"Well done Lucy," he muttered.

-Natsu P.O.V-
They were both still.
What happened? I can't see...
Lucy's wings went weak, like the wilting petal of a flower. She then slowly began to fall. Immediately I ran to her, my arms outstretched. Just as she was about to hit the floor I caught her, and fell to my knees in shock. The blood from her wound soaked my clothes beneath her body, as I started to tremble at the sight. Her eyes were closed, but my heart contracted as they opened.
They were brown.
She smiled up at me, and gripped onto my arm. "I thought I could protect you...from the danger," she muttered. She breathed in harshly, her body beginning to shut down. "But if I'm the danger, I guess this is ok."
I shook my head frantically, unable to talk.
"Natsu..." She reached out, and placed her hand on my cheek. Tears began to fall down her cheeks, her smile refusing to fade. "I wanted to live with you, with Nashi...forever..." She began to sob, as she cherished her last moments. "I was so happy..." She shook her head slightly, as her hand slid down my cheek, her body too weak to keep it up. Tears streamed down my face, as I listened to every word.
"If giving up my life gives both of you a better future, that makes me happier than you could ever imagine..." She laughed, but it was soon cut off with a choke.
"All you ever gave me was happiness, and love..."
I shook my head again- but this time, I had something to say with it. "My world doesn't exist without you! Remember...we said to each other..." Memories began to appear in my head.
"Natsu...are...we..."
"We can be whatever you want us to be."
"Then, we will mean the world to each other. How's that?"
"You are my world Lucy!" I shouted, crying uncontrollably. "I can't live without you!"
"Live for Nashi," Lucy said, desperately gripping into the fabric of my shirt. "Protect her. Tell her stories about me...tell her that I loved her..."
"Not loved, love! Lucy, I won't accept this-"
Lucy grabbed both sides of my head, and kissed me strongly. I froze, cherishing it, memorising every part of it...
Our last kiss.
"I love you, Nastu," She whispered into my ear. I didn't let her fall back down- I held her close to me, the warmth of her body fading.
"I will always love you, Lucy," I replied.
"Thank you...for staying with me," she muttered. She then put all her energy into one last smile, her eyes closed.
"Until my world ends..." She muttered happily. "And thank you..." Her voice was fading, and she loosened her grip.
"For letting me save yours."

I didn't move. I didn't speak. I sat there, holding Lucy's lifeless body in my embrace. I rocked it gently, tears streaming down my face. I stroked her soft, blonde hair, as I cried out in agony. She was cold to the touch- and her chest was still.
"Don't leave," I muttered, softly. "Don't leave..."
It wasn't over. It couldn't be over. I refused to believe it.
I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up, my face full of tears. Erza was looking down on me. I also noticed she'd been crying. She signalled for me to come with her, but I shook my head in return. I then spotted Nashi, who was hiding behind Erza's legs. She peeked out, and froze when she saw her mother's body in my arms. Her eyes instantly filled with tears, as she shook her head in disbelief. Erza took her hand, and turned around. They both began to walk back, leaving me with alone with Lucy again. I stared at Lucy's face, her eyes closed. I kissed her on the forehead, and laid her body on the floor.
"Thank you...for letting me save yours."
I smiled at her, as more tears fell.
"Lucy," I muttered, wiping my tears.

"Thank you...and goodbye."

THE END

THE END