Chapter 26~ Free as a bird

I turned around to take the last glance of my friends who were waving at us with such sadness in their eyes, I waved back just before we make a turn in the passage and we could no longer see them.

Soon enough and not our liking, we were on board of the plane making our way back "home" but it's not even what I consider to be home.THIS is home, with my friends and the people who love me.

The plane took off and after wandering in the sky for some long hours, I felt Bella's hand shaking my shoulder to wake up since we had arrived.  

We took a taxi to our home. Once we entered around 2pm I didn't bother greeting neither mum nor her husband. I went directly to my room.  

but after 10 minutes or something while I was unpacking ,there was a knock on my door

"come in" I said and the door opens for mum to come in

"Hello Prudence, are you sick or something ,honey?" she paused and I shook my head without looking at her and continued to fold the clean clothes back into the wardrobe

"why didn't come into the kitchen to greet me then like your sister? didn't you miss me?" She asked and I stayed silent, I'm too tired to argue at the moment...but then I felt her hands turn me to face her

"you know that I care for you, right?" that was the strike which started the fire

"OH sure! you care for me? You are RUINING my Freaking life!! DONT YOU SAY THAT YOU CARE FOR ME!" I spat

"HOW DID I RUIN YOUR LIFE? everything EVERYTHING I ever did was to PROTECT YOU !"

"PROTECT ME? HOW did you "PROTECT ME"? BY MARRYING ANOTHER WORTHLESS MAN AFTER DAD? BY IGNORING US TO KEEP YOUR RICH HUSBAND HAPPY?!! YOU DIDNT EVEN BOTHER TO WAIT FOR OUR ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT! !" I paused to catch my breath

"enough prudence." she commanded

"NO IT'S NOT ENOUGH !! YOU WERE PROTECTING ME BY KEEPING ME AWAY FROM EVERY SINGLE FRIEND I EVER MAKE AND GETTING RID OF ANY LETTERS THEY SEND ME? BY SENDING ME TO A SCHOOL THAT I DONT LIKE AND WHERE NO BODY LIKES ME?" she was about to open her mouth to speak but I cut her

"Is that what you call protection, mother? IF THAT'S YOUR WAY OF CARING FOR US THEN I DON'T WANT IT! "

"I SAID ENOUGH PRUDENCE! !" I felt a SLAP right on my face and this time it was so much harder than before. It was so hard that my cheek started to bleed since she is wearing a metal ring

"LISTEN TO ME NOW. IT'S MY TURN TO TALK, SINCE YOU DON'T APPRECIATE ALL WHAT I HAD DONE FOR YOU AFTER ALL THIS TIME, AND SINCE YOU HATE YOUR LIFE VERY MUCH WITH ME THEN LEAVE ! DON'T YOU ALWAYS ARGUE WITH ME BECAUSE YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH NOW? THEN LEAVE AND TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY LIKE YOU HAD ALWAYS WANTED! GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE!"

I was shocked "wha..what?" I said in a little voice

"GET OUT OF HERE! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE AGAIN" I turned fast to my wardrobe and put my important things back in the bag that I wasn't even done unpacking then I put on my snickers and took the last look back at her

"You know what mother? I WISH IT WAS YOU WHO HAD DIED ! WHY DID IT HAS TO BE DAD? I LOVED HIM NOT YOU!" then I opened my door to see Bella standing in front of it crying. I dropped my big bag and hugged her tightly, I didn't even know what to say and I can't make her come with me.

We just stayed in each other's embrace until she had stopped crying then she pulled away and kneeled to put an envelope in my bag. I gave her a last hug and she walked me downstairs until the front doorstep.I turned around ,smiled at her, took off my favourite bracelet that I had never taken it off before ,then I shut the door.

I started to walk away with no idea where to go or what I'm going to do..I don't have any other family members here..I don't have friends neither.  

I walked and walked nothing in my mind except getting away from that house and as far as I can. I kept on walking with my big heavy bag on my shoulder until I couldn't walk anymore even though I'm wearing my usual to be comfy snickers but I have to be strong, I have to carry on.

I found a bench to rest on in a park that I've never seen before, and I remembered the envelope which Clarabella had put in my bag, I opened the bag's pocket,dragged the envelope out of it and slowly opened it to find some money and a paper with Bella's neat handwriting and as I read more words of it, more tears come running down from my eyes,

{Prudes, I'm writing this note while I can hear your yelling with mum clearly. I'm sorry I can't stop the argument. I'm sorry I can't accompany you. I'm sorry I'm not as brave as you are. I guess you were always right when you said that you feel like you're the stronger,older and wiser sister. I'm sorry I can't help you with anything except for this money, I know that they are not much but that's all I have. Please take care of yourself, find a nice safe place to stay, find a nice job and a nice friend.  

I hope you forgive me, I love you.}

My tears had increased and I was sobbing hard while I put the paper back in the envelope and took the money and put it in my jeans' pocket then I took a deep breath. 'stop crying prudence, you're strong, you can make it on your own, you'll be fine' I kept on repeating this to myself and indeed I stopped crying. there's no need to cry...it won't help, it won't make anything better.

I stood up and continued to wander around the streets until I found a fine hotel so I went inside and found out that the room's price is just fine. I know I wouldn't find any cheaper hotel rooms. I checked in and got into the elevator then reached the hall leading to my room.

It wasn't so bad, it was small of course but it was fine I can't complain. It was a square room with pale yellowish walls which had one window with the bed right below it, a small table and a chair next to it and a small cabin which is for clothes I guess.. 

I unpacked then I changed into my pajamas, made sure that the room was well locked then drifted asleep.It was a very long tiring day but after all, I'm free, I'm a scared but free bird that had just escaped out of its cage.