We Failed

Walking out of the bathroom after packing up my hygiene products, so we could leave early in the morning. I flopped down onto my bed as Sam clicked away on his laptop, looking up the information for the next stop, some Salsa club just outside San Fransisco.

    "Hey Sam." drawing his attention, nervously pulling on my grey camisole that I had changed into with a pair of black sleeping shorts.

    "Yeah." turning his head toward me, yet still looking at the laptop.

    "When we were all talking in the diner the other day... What did you mean when you asked 'your Texas' to Dean?" turning on the bed to face him, pulling my feet into a criss cross position, watching as his entire body instantly tensed from the question, stilling completely with his fingers hovering just above the keys.

    "Uh... huh... well... maybe you should ask Dean that?" he finally stuttered, turning in his chair to face me.

    Shaking my head I bit my lip. "Being alone... with your brother..."gulping I ran a shaky hand over my forehead. "probably not a great idea." finishing my reply in a whisper.

    "You guys really need to talk about it... there is so much more you need to understand about that trip." he insisted, pleading with me to have the difficult conversation with Dean.

    "Easier said then done Sam... How do talk about something that... still to this day ripes your heart from your chest?" huffing out the question, not really expecting an answer.

    "I don't..." he stammered, not sure what to say.

    "Forget it." I breathed letting out a deep sigh. "See ya in the morning." pulling back the blankets on the bed and crawling in, needing to shut the world with it's un-answered questions out for a couple of hours.

    "Ren... REN... REN." Dean's frantic voice yelled through our motel room, causing me to nearly jump out of my skin as I climbed out of the shower.

    "In here." yelling out to him, wrapping a towel around me before swinging open the door. "Why are you screaming?" snapping at him for freaking me out.

    "You didn't answer me." he growled, scowling at me.

    "You paused for like two seconds before you started screaming." shaking my head at his dramatic reaction, he came to stand in front of me, looking me up and down, reassuring himself that I was okay. He's been doing that a lot since that damn Incubus marked me a few days ago.

    "You need to answer me right away." he demanded, glancing anxiously behind me at the steam filled, now empty bathroom, before stepping to the side to let me pass by.

    "Alright... Calm down." trying to get him to relax a little. Which I doubt would happen anytime soon.

    "I can't calm down." he snapped clenching his jaw, his eyes glazing over with guilty tears. I flinched back not sure how to react. He was taking me being marked extremely hard.

    "Dean." whispering his name not sure what to do, taking tentative steps toward him. Suddenly he grabbed me at my waist and pulled me to him, wrapping his steel band like arms protectively around me.

    "I didn't protect you... it's my fault this happened to you." his voice cracked as he squeezed me against his hard chest.

    "You saved me." trying to reaffirm to him that he was the one that was able to pull me from the Incubus's hold.

Pulling back I looked up into his tortured, yet still incredibly handsome face as he clenched his tense jaw, hating himself. Swiftly I pressed my lips to his, wanting him to understand that I felt protected and safe with him.