Chapter twenty - You lied to me

Nigel:

If looks could kill, the way Nigel glanced at sister Jude would have. He knew more of god than all those people packed together. He knew more of religion in head and heart than sister Jude did in her baby-finger. But he didn't say this. The look said enough he didn't need to spell it out.

He didn't resist when the guard pulled him along, - truly he wanted to be out of here as quickly as possible before he'd hurt sister Jude and get himself into trouble. He didn't listen to her words. She had already ruined the little interest he had in her before.

Afterwards he was brought to a different cell than his normal room and as the guard locked the door behind him Nigel looked around and remembered the cell as the one Grace had brought him to before. He sighed then and let himself slide down against the wall. He could hear Grace' voice speaking to him from behind it. For a moment he considered pretending he couldn't hear her.. Though he was eager to question her about the evidence at the one side, he didn't want to know the answers at the other side. But he didn't want her to finish the last question she started either so he just gave a brief, emotionless: "No." in return, not planning to say anything else to her.

Alex:

Grace clenched her teeth in the beginning, and moved her fingertips over the wall as she waited patiently for his reply. First she thought he hadn't heard him, and she almost wanted to repeat the question a bit louder- but then he answered. Though his answer was brief, she was satisfied and relieved - afraid that they'd really cut his balls off or whatsoever.

For a moment she laughed quietly, allowing herself to sit more comfortable and to take a deep breath for a couple of times. She sighed audible.

'I was so worried,' she muttered now, closing her eyes as she nuzzled herself as close as possible against the wall. 'You are the only person I ever had a second thought about in this hellhole. I was afraid they'd hurt you or anything. Couldn't keep myself in rest for a moment.'

She wetted her lips and pressed her head against the wall again, pulling up her knees as she made herself small. She seemed to be even more fragile now. Her tiny, small and pale fingers ran through her hair now, and for a moment she sighed again.

'I'm so glad you're here, unharmed...'

Nigel:

A long silence followed after she said that.. But it was a silence because Nigel thought the situation over again and her words had convinced him, formed his opinion defiantly now.

"They told me you lied to me.. that you did kill your parents." He looked up slightly now, eyes turned to their corners as if it would allow him to hear her reaction more clearly.

"But I don't believe them. They are the liars. I know that."

He put his head back against the wall and smiled to himself. It felt good to say the next.

"I won't let them brainwash me again. I trust you."

Alex:

Grace had her eyes closed as she patiently waited for his reply. She didn't knew why, but somehow she liked the long silence between the sentences. It gave her the time to think about a lot. It gave her the opportunity to feel his warmth through these walls - or at least to pretend like she could feel him. She had no idea of the things Sister Jude could've said, and as soon as she realized what Nigel said, her eyes snapped open, and her stomach began to hurt again. She swallowed, nuzzling herself against the wall again as she let the words enter her ear. A pain ran through her veins. A nasty feeling that started to bit against her flesh.