Chapter three - Attempting to escape

Nigel:

There was no answer to Alex' pleas, either because Nigel didn't hear him or because he was pretending not to hear him in front of the doctor and guards.

He was escorted back to his room, where a tray with food was waiting for him. Nigel paid no attention to the food at all, though. In fact the moment he was left alone he walked up to his pillow and pulled off the cover, which he filled with the very few belongings he had here - no more than a toothbrush and the pair of clothes he'd worn when they brought him in.

He was swaying as he walked through the room, though. The drug was still heavily inflating him and he looked as though he could drop unconscious again any minute. No way he was going to escape the building in this state.

Alex:

Alex had left him for real at that moment. He really had to slow down, and so he did. He knew he would mess up Nigel his head if he would keep popping up at the wrong moments, and so he waited. In silence he did his best to get himself a plan, but did he got any good results? Not at all. His head kept being empty, empty as a solitary - captivating everything from the inside, and allowing nothing to come in.

As soon as the guards finally left Nigel perfectly alone in his own room again, he decided to serve him a little visit again - but he wouldn't reveal himself to him. Not this time at least. He finally seemed to understand what was going on in here. Whenever Nigel spoke to an - in their eyes - imaginary friend, they popped up and asked him what was wrong.

Alex followed Nigel as he walked, paying his total attention to his attitude, way of looking and moving. He pursed his lips a bit dissatisfied and thoughtful. Nigel had changed, in a wrong and weird way. His eyebrows lifted as soon as he noticed Nigel taking his stuff from the inside of his pillow. He seemed to be drugged, still. His way of moving, breathing and gazing around didn't suited Nigel at all. It had to be- Nigel was still drugged, and it seemed like he wanted to escape - this time for real.

'Don't,' Alex suddenly whispered as he popped up in front of him. He parted his lips and held Nigel at his shoulders. 'You're not ready to go, not yet. You've to rest, Nigel. Rest, and I'll help you escape afterwards.' He thumbed through Nigel his dark brown hair and liked his dry lips now. 'Okay?'

Nigel:

He hung his shoulders in relief and nodded weakly when Alex grabbed them and told him he could rest first. He didn't need telling twice and pulled away from Alex to let himself drop down on the bed. He knew that if he wanted to he could be asleep in a second, but he didn't want to, not yet. First he wanted to know Alex was by his side. So he lifted one arm, reaching for Alex. He wanted him to lay down next to him.

When he did Nigel buried his face in his neck and tried to calm himself.

"Why can't I feel you, Alex?"

He wasn't talking about physical feelings. He couldn't feel Alex in his mind anymore. He just left a huge gap where his presence used to be and even now it was still empty.