Chapter 39 - Ready to heal

Alex:

Alex came back after a little while, being satisfied with the things he'd found. It hadn't been much, but at least he'd been able to get something. An from light but strong material made plate laid in the back of the car, under the sheets that had once been put there for probably a dog - and the plate/plank had probably been used to keep the dog from damaging the car if its nails would cut through the sheets.

Nevertheless Alex hadn't walked up to Nigel after he arrived at the place. He kept hidden behind the bushes, allowing Nigel to finish his things with the tree, and only after he was totally sure Nigel was done he slowly walked up to him.

'I brought you this...' he said softly, extending his arm to give him the plank - or whatever it was. 'I thought it might help you with... digging the hole, you know?' He placed his hand on Nigel his shoulder for a second, encouraging him, and smiled weakly and pensively as he stepped away after - giving Nigel all the space he would need. Beaten Alex stared down at Grace her lifeless body. His breath stuck in his throat, and the tears stung in his eyes - though he would not cry.

'I'm sorry Grace,' he mumbled then, inaudible for Nigel, 'but we could not have him both.'

The most saddest part was that Grace didn't had to die. There had been another way to bring Alex back, more easily, and Grace had tried her best to help Alex with that. Alex could indeed transport himself toward his original body if he would've possessed Grace for just a moment, but he'd refused it, and waited for the moment he could kill her - just because the jealousy had been too strong. After all, he didn't wanted to share Nigel with anyone. He was his, and now for eternity.

Nigel:

He took the board, - or whatever it was, - from Alex gratefully and got back up his feet. "Thank you," he told him softly, grabbing his arm once and squeezing it gently.

After Alex had given him room for it he started digging the grave. Though the board wasn't the most efficient for digging a hole, - it went better than just using his hands. It still took a long time, and it took all of his effort and strength, but nevertheless he kept going. If he was done, perhaps he was able to put it behind him.

After a while he had finally made the hole big enough for Grace's tiny figure to fit in it perfectly. He moved over to Grace then and picked her up, after which he let her sink carefully into the grave.

"I'm sorry," he told her again, though he wasn't crying anymore.. He'd had enough of that for months. He got over to the pile he dug up and shoved it back into the grave, - over her body, burying all the memories with it.

Alex:

Alex had stared him straight in the eyes as he'd hand him the plank - or the whatever it was - and had smiled pensively as he'd grabbed his arm for just some seconds, just to squeeze it softly as a sign of gratefulness. Alex had nodded, and gave him all the space he needed for digging the grave. The fact that it had took quite a while surprisingly hadn't bothered him. His eyes had been mostly of the time fixed on the tree, where the engraving was visible - carved with care.

Alex had just stand there, his arms folded over each other, and he'd tried to keep his facial expression as sturdy as possible. He didn't wanted to show any regret or weakness. After all, this was what he wanted. He'd wanted Grace to be dead, and now she was - something that he would never tell Nigel, obviously.

A cold shiver climbed his spine. Nigel took Grace her body, and within some seconds - it took quite long - he'd carefully placed her in the hole. Perfectly, as if he laid her down in a bed. Sadly enough it wasn't a warm sheet Nigel would lay down on her now. There would be no more night kisses, stories or comfortable hugs. Only sand scattered down over her pale appearance, and Alex had held his breath while Nigel had done that - the first seconds.

Carefully he'd listened to Nigel his words - which were almost inaudible - and he hit his eyes to the ground as his shoulders sank in. In silence he waited for Nigel to end it all as he wanted. He would be thankful if this all would be over soon, though he was asking himself many times if he could ever forgive Nigel, but still.

Shortly Alex had thought of Joseph. His eyes had met the sky for just a moment, and he'd nibbled on his lower lip pensively, expecting Grace to be there now. In heaven at least. Nevertheless it wasn't heaven where she was. Not yet at least. Now it was her time to go to Joseph - since he apparently had some stuff to discus with her before her going to the lights. Now giving her the opportunity to chose...

Nigel:

When he'd closed the hole he drew a symbol in the dirt. The emblem of the brotherhood.. the pike and loops. He didn't draw just the spade, - Grace was more important. After all she did them both a great service.

He got up then and stood still before the grave, - taking just for a few minutes of silence. After that he turned around to look at Alex. He seemed broken, - both physical and mentally. Then again, - after a day like today, - what could you expect? He was ready to heal now, though.

He walked up to Alex slowly and took his hand, - walking back with him to the car without saying another word.

Alex:

Alex pursed his lips pensively and narrowed his eyes - as if the sun was shining in his eyes, which it wasn't. It was still night, and only the moon and the stars where shining bright. Remarkable how just as Nigel pushed himself up from the ground to stand up, there a star fell - Alex could just caught its last little bit of light with the corner of his eye as he gazed up.

As Nigel turned around and walked up to him, he softly squeezed his hand -throwing just one more glance back against the grave after they left. He could recognize the brotherhood sign on the grave, and it had almost made him smile a bit. A new time had begun, a story had end, a book had been closed, a sacrifice was given and a new life was served...

--- End of part 3