Chapter eighteen - Cooking chores

Alex:

Just like Nigel hadn't, Doctor Harmon hadn't spoke either when Nigel stood up. Only his eyes were fixed upon his body, and he followed every move Nigel made until he got out of sight - since the guard closed the door behind him.

Grace was already there in the kitchen. Instead of making the breakfast at eight AM, she had to get up at seven - straight after Nigel got transported away toward Doctor Harmon his office - and an other guard leaded her toward the place she had to be. The kitchen. It was dark, and no one was in there. It seemed like she had to do this alone then, until Nigel would came in after hopefully only a few minutes.

'Am I the only one today?' She turned her head, searching for the guard who was almost already gone.

'You are,' he answered briefly. '-together with Nigel. The kid will come in a bit. You are the only two for today, as a punishment.' The guard got out of sight, and there Grace stood. She sighed deeply, walking up to the table where she started to get herself some flour. When she finally managed to make one big ball of bread dough, it was now time for her to knead it. Luckily after two minutes, she heard some one familiar walking in, and she immediately turned, searching with her bright blue eyes in the darkness of the room.

'You made it,' she whispered as she stood straight in front of him. The other guard was gone as well now, the door closed so they couldn't get out. A deep frown appeared on Grace her forehead as she saw Nigel his perplexed expression, and as soon as he began to speak, she widened her eyes and took both of his hands - walking up to the kitchen dresser where she had been working on.

'What?' she whispered - not that she had to, but she did out of shock. 'Why? What happened, what have you done?' She wetted her lips and started to fix the collar from his blouse. 'What did he told you, Nigel?'

Nigel:

He frowned down at Grace's hands as they started fumbling at his collar. He hadn't even realized it was untidily crooked.

"Nothing.. I mean,- yet. Dr. Harmon said that they want me dead in here. They think I have the devil in me. And I will see the consequences if I don't prove them I'm not."

He looked back at Grace now, - careful almost, - as if what he was to say now was worse than the first part.

"He also said, that if I do act like a normal human being, he could get me out of here."

It wasn't worse than the first lie he told him. But it was, considering that if it were true, because the rule counted for Nigel only and not for Grace. Which meant she'd be left here by herself. Of course he'd try to get her out but that might not be that easy.

"He believes I'm not crazy. Do you think he's telling the truth?"

Alex:

A deep frown appeared on Grace her forehead, and her hands rested on his shoulder now.

'Why do they think you have the devil inside you? Why should they kill you? I've-' She stopped for a second, allowing herself to swallow and take a deep breath. 'They think I've done much worse things than only killing a couple. They think I've brutally killed my entire family, why wouldn't they kill me then?'