Chapter 37 - The morgue

Alex:

There sat Grace, staring at Nigel who fell asleep within seconds without even finishing his sentence. She inhaled deeply and looked around. It was dark in the car, just as anywhere around, and she sighed. The sky, whipped by winds, changing preternaturally, galloped ahead. Clouds, some tiny views of stars, lowslung fog in rapped succession. This was the English weather. She was quite relieved that it wasn't cold in the car. Not at all to be exact. The place felt wet. A smokey smell stung her nose. For a moment she'd thought of her house burning out to the stake, but then she realized it was nothing more then bracken burned by gardeners probably.

It didn't took long for her to fall asleep as well. An incomprehensible dream had played with her mind that night, and she woke shortly after Nigel. The sun shone down on them - a reason why she couldn't open her eyes that well. Her hand searched for Nigel his sleeve by touch, and as soon as she'd found it she got up a bit while muttering something no one could hear.

'What time is it?' she went on. 'Are you alright?'

Nigel:

He sighed once, both in annoyance as in relief and sank back in his chair while rubbing over his eyes.

"Yeah I'm fine.. Bad dream."

He started the engine again, - he noticed then how his hand was practicly frozen, but it was that ammount of frozen he could barely even feel it anymore. The engine would soon warm up the heating and the car, though. And as he started the engine he could also see the time it displayed.

"It's 7 AM"

Alex:

Grace nodded and sank back into her seat as well, sighing while rubbing her hand over her forehead. She yawned with her eyes closed, noticing that the sky was remarkably clear for this time of the year.

'A bad dream,' she repeated, crawling up against the window so she could scan the place. It was surprisingly quiet in here - which was in their benefit. Softly she pressed her forehead against the cold glass and she breathed against it what made it blurry for her to see through. 'Where will we go now? I think we lost them.' She moved back on her seat and turned on the radio, waiting patiently for the news to show up.

'Perhaps they will say anything about the house and the bodies.' She swallowed and searched for his eyes. 'We need to be sure.'

Nigel:

Another shock went through his body when suddenly the radio got turned on, after all the silence, but he tried not to let her notice and just drove off.

"Nice thinking," he mumbled, nodding his head once. There was just a song on now, but the news could come any moment.

"There's food in the brown bag.. in the backseat. You should have some.. it's been over 24 hours."

Sure they'd had worse than 24 hours but that didn't mean they should keep that habbit of eating nothing now. At least, he wouldn't let Grace keep it. Yet it was still hard sometimes to remember.

"And I think we'll be able to make it to the morgue by nightfall, if we keep on driving."

Alex:

Grace didn't noticed anything of Nigel getting startled, and she kept her ears fixed upon the sounds from the radio. She kept sitting still, as if she was afraid to do anything wrong, and she pressed her lips while almost holding her breath. She just lightly nodded as a reaction on Nigel his words, and she gazed out of the window while they kept driving.

'Good,' she whispered then, breathlessly. Slowly she placed her hand back upon her belly, and she remained in silence again.

The news popped on. Grace immediately threw a glance toward the thingy, and focussed she listened to the words coming out of it.