Chapter five - Be careful

Alex:

Alex came up now, thumbing his hand through his hair - as if it was actually necessary. His eyes followed Nigel's, making sure he would conceive every move he made. He could see Nigel was hurt, the way he stumbled on his feet - making sure he wouldn't fall back of forward.

'Follow me,' he whispered as he caught Nigel up. 'We'll leave this forest first. We need to get off from this hill. I'm sure there are many guards looking for you, still. They'll not easily give up.'

Alex his eye caught a house. Smoke was leaving the chimney, and a nice smell of burning wood must have excited Nigel his olfactory senses. Mystical shadows danced upon the walls inside the house because of the cheering flames. The house was cozy decorated and classified, but there was no one inside - or at least, there didn't seemed to be anyone in. Down along the slippery grass slope behind the house, Alex saw that all workmen were ready to continue their quest. They all held a cup of tea in there hand, and some of them were smoking a cigarette. Their warm moist breath produced a cloud of vapor that hoisted up from their faces. They looked like a large burned out fire which got sprinkled by rain. It was only October, but still early in the morning, and the sun was hesitantly seen somewhere behind the clouds above the bushy hill in the distance.

Alex spoke. 'Hopefully we can get you some fitting shoes and perhaps some nice clothes,' pointing out to the back door from the little house. It looked a lot like a old forest house - like a Norwegian cottage. 'Don't kill, unless necessarily, okay? We must stay quiet now. Lots of workmen and guards are possibly searching for you. If you'll get caught, you and I might be separate from each other forever.' A warming little smile crossed Alex his face, and he slowly moved toward the door to open it. It was locked, but luckily Alex was able to do the same trick as the one he'd used yesterday at the institute. 'You go searching for some clothes, I'll go checking this house out. Perhaps there's still someone here. I'll make sure he or she won't catch you.'

Nigel:

"They never do," he says while throwing a glance though the branches, at the guards that are after, but he doesn't bother to explain why he's saying it. Instead he follows Alex quickly. He stops at the sight of the house and frowns as he sees Alex walk towards it.

"Alex, we can't."

But Alex doesn't seem to hear it.. In the end he follows him anyway, though he has his doubts about Alex' choice of escape. The chimney is on after all.. It wouldn't be on if there's no one dare right? But he doesn't argue with Alex. He's too tired to argue anymore.

"I won't get caught," he whispers in a promise. When Alex opens the door he walks inside and softly makes his way up the stairs. The solid, cold wood is a relief to feel against his feet, but walking on his toes he cannot profit much of that. The fact he wears no shoes is now an advantage though, for his footsteps barely made any sound. Upstairs he found a closet. Judging by the clothes it seemed to be of a young couple, just married. Perhaps they bought this as a vacation cabin or honeymoon suite. The man's clothes and shoes were both too big but it would make due.

Alex: