Chapter 27 - What date is it?

Alex:

Grace again knocked on her chest and pursed her lips as she stared at the glass of whatever it was. Jesus Christ, that was horrible. She wanted to throw that all over the table, but she knew it wouldn't help a thing. It had something quite funny after all.

'He killed himself?' she suddenly asked disbelieved. She clenched her teeth in grief, and sighed deeply as she glanced away. 'That's horrible... Why does he thinks it's even possible to come back from the death?' She shut her mouth now, hoping she hadn't offend Nigel by this. 'He did told me, though, that he wanted to come back and such. I tried to convince him that he couldn't-' She searched for Nigel his eyes and stopped for a few seconds. 'but he didn't believed me, of course. That pour boy...' She hit her eyes and stopped again.

Nevertheless, as soon as she realized what Nigel said at last, she looked up.

'Now what the hell you're talking about?' Grace cleaned her throat and tried to smile a bit - making a joke of it since she didn't believed him. He couldn't have come back from the death, now could he? Grace had already thought from the beginning that this all was one big pile of nonsense - though Alex his spirit was indeed in her body, but still. That was different then coming back from the death. Nevertheless it was nothing more then a try to make it look fake - since she was too afraid he wasn't joking. And so he didn't. She inhaled deeply and shook her head. 'I mean, you're joking right? You can't- You're not... dead, right?' She laughed again, nervously and frowned. 'I mean, you can't be. We-' She didn't even dared to pronounce what she thought now.

Nigel:

Nigel took a bite of the food, and though he really needed the food somehow he seemed to swallow it with reluctance. And not because of the taste. But at least he was eating again.

"Yes.. Did you think I killed him?" he looked up at Grace to see her reaction, but smiled before she felt obliged to answer. "I didn't. He sacrificed himself. Just like I did.. He just didn't understand the risks as well as I."

He took a careful sip of the whiskey. It burned his throat as well but the warm feeling that he got from it, and the numbing of pain, was almost worth it. He frowned and made a gesture with his hand.

"Well of course I'm not dead now.. But I used to be. For as far as you can count a stay in purgatory as death."

Alex:

Just like Nigel did, Grace shoved some food on her fork, and she slowly put it in her mouth with hesitation. She wasn't hungry anymore, somehow, and at her first swallow she shivered. Though, she had to say it tasted better than the stuff in the institute. Much better to be exact.

'If I thought that you'd killed Alex?' A frown appeared on her appearance, and she hook her head as she leaned over her plate. 'Of course not. You seem to care about him. Why would I think that you'd killed him then? I honestly thought he died by accident or so... Never expected him to commit suicide...' She searched for his eyes and stroked her hair behind her right ear. 'He didn't told me either...'

She watched him gulping some from his whiskey, and she couldn't keep herself from trying some too again - if it was only just a drop touching her tongue. She still didn't really liked the taste of it.

Her eyes widened as Nigel explained about his dead and status, and she slowly leaned backwards as she shook her head.

'No you're not... You didn't- Oh, oh well that makes sense. You're not dead now? How can I-' She shook her head again and stood up, walking away from the table - if it were only three steps - and she rubbed her forehead. 'How- Why didn't you tell me? Jesus.'