Chapter 30

**Kalessi Pov**

    After an uneventful day at my new home, night came. There really was not much to do, locked in a stall like this. Granted, I did have  a quite spacious stall but nothing beats running in the wild. I really wonder how my family is doing and if I will ever see them again. I miss Jason, his birthday must be coming up soon, Im assuming. I do not even know what month it is anymore.. 

    I met a lot of new horses today. My favorite person that I met occupies the stall next door. Her name is Darla and she is an old Chestnut Mare. She was sent here after kicking her owner who worked her to the brink of death and the man did not want her anymore. Darla said that she has no complaints about living here; fresh hay, a stall, running time and friends. The only thing is that all new arrivals have to be broken in. When she said this I got a flashback to the first time someone tried to break me in. This made me really nervous. Other than Darla, there are about 10 horses here. They all have similar stories, their masters either did not want them because they were to much work or they simply got to old to ride and couldn't pay to keep them.

     All I could think about was my 'riding lesson' tomorrow. I really was not looking forward to that.

  "Darla?" I neighed out.

"Yes Child?" Darla's raspy reply came moments later, clouded with sleep. I did not mean to wake her.

"I'm sorry I did not mean to wake you. I am just nervous because tomorrow i will be ridden and my first riding experience was not pleasant. Also, are the owners here supernatural?" I asked, fear creeping into my voice.

"Goodness sweetheart. Do not be alarmed about tomorrow. They are really gentle people compared to some others. And for as long as I have been here they showed no signs of being supernatural. But darling, its getting awfully late. I am exhausted and you had a long day. You want to get as much sleep as you possibly can. Goodnight." Darla and and shifted away so I could no longer carry a conversation.

"Goodnight." I whispered and fell asleep, boggled down with nightmares of tomorrow. 

*

*

    I was woken by the sounds of the barn doors opening. It made such a rusty awful sound, like nails on chalk board. It made me winch and wish I could cover my ears. I heard the footsteps of my new owners as they whistled and fed us. When they came to my stall, I backed up, warily, ready for anything. I could tell that the man here was Mr. Jones and he placed my hay in my stall and filled up my water bucket. He did not move after he finished the tasks. He simply stared at me, observing silently. It made me nervous. 

He slowly undid the latch that held my stall door closed and entered softly. I could see that in his hand he had my lead rope, and locked my eyes on it. He saw where I was looking and chuckled softly.

"hey sweet thang. I'm not going to hurt you. Its okay." He cooed with his Texas accent. As he was speaking softly, he began to slowly approach. I began backing up, but i eventually hit the back wall with my rump. My eyes grew big with terror and i looked for an escape.

Taking in my distraction, he lunged forward and attached the rope to my halter. I neighed frantically and reared.  I began to feel Mr. Jones pulling me, and I came back down and followed him out, timidly. Horses stuck their heads out of the stalls to see what all the commotion was and neighed encouraging messages.

"You got this girl! " Jamie yelled.

"Don't be scared! Just relax!!" Darla neighed. 

The messages went on. I could not believe that after knowing these people for only a day they cheered for me. Mr. Jones led me forward a bit more and signaled for another man to help attach me to the cross ties. They began brushing my coat, and at first I tensed up, but then after a few soothing strokes, I began to enjoy it. It felt nice to have someone nicely take out all the dirt from my coat and when they stopped brushing me, I stomped my foot. I heard a chuckle and then something wooly was placed on my back. 

I began to try to move forward, annoyed at this foreign object on me. Then an even heavier thing was placed on my back, causing me to stomp my foot again. I realized what was on my back when i felt someone go under my belly to fix the girth. I began trying to walk forwards and backwards but the ropes did their job well at holding me in place. 

Then Mr. Jones and a man, Jim, walked in front of me, holding a bit, bridle and reins in their hands. I snorted as if to tell them they wouldn't be getting those on me. Mr. Jones began to give me treats, gaining my trust a little at a time. Then at one moment, I opened my mouth to get a treat and the bit was slipped in. I tried to spit it out but the boys made quick work on putting the bridle on. annoyed, i rolled the bit in my mouth, not used to the metal taste. after they attached everything together, I was taken off the cross ties and led to an indoor arena. There I was held straight while Mr. Jones grabbed a riding vest, helmet, whip and boots. 

After putting the gear on, he pulled himself up onto my back. He was riding me on an  english saddle and took a moment to adjust the stirrups. He then squeezed my sides and clicked his tongue. Because he was begin gentle and not harshly pulling the reins I decided to go along with him. We then got intot he turns and he pulled the rein to harshly to the left. At this, I bucked and reared. I know that I overreacted but I couldnt help it. I could not shake Mr. Jones off and I calmed down. He began patting me on my back, whispering words. He then squeezed my sides and we started over. 

Our total riding lesson lasted about two hours. We covered walking, trotting, cantering, galloping, tongue clicks, rein changes and leg squeezes. After Mr. Jones dismounted, the reins were taking off but a long lead rope was put on. They wanted to work me but making me run in a circle. After a half hour of that, my body was dripping from sweat. They wiped me down, took of the saddle and brought me back to my stall. I was given fresh hay and water with a carrot for how well I had done. I quickly munched on my carrot while thinking that this was actually a nice place.

***Mr. Jones POV***

Kalessi is such a beauty. Her body frame is so muscular but not to muscular. She would be a perfect cross country horse. She seems to fit in well here and did amazing during our riding lesson. the only part that she was bad was went i pulled to harshly on the reins but she calmed down after a little while. She is still timid but will eventually trust us. She is the perfect horse and I will never let her go.

Authors Notes:

Hello all! I tried to write a long chapter for you to apologize for not being able to update. Im really sorry. i went away on a three week trip with no wifi. But i am starting school and volleyball but i plan to set aside     about two hours a week to write. How does that sound for all you wattaders? and what do you think will happen next? The closest guess will get a feature/shoutout/dedication. You can either inbox me or comment on them! Hope you all had a fantastic summer. <3

_crazyreader111.

word count: 1360