Restlessness

Recap: Hooria and Rehan fought.
Things settled down between Jannat and Alyaan. Shaheer met Jannat and told her that they were not divorced!

Chap 20. Restlessness.

"Shaheer, but we signed those papers!" Jannat exclaimed when they were sitting in hospital's cafeteria. Shaheer took her there to talk in easy environment, and explain her everything.

"Yeah, We did! But none of us knew what the hell that piece of paper contained." Shaheer told Jnnat. "What do you think of nikah, Ján? It's some kind of a joke? No! It's the strongest bond a person have! You think it could break down just because of third person?"

The haze which blurred Jannat's mind was clearing slowly. She stared at the coffee cup placed on table in front of her, tracing the rim of the cup with her finger.

"Can I know, what's going on in your mind?!" Shaheer asked her when she remained quite.

"I don't know, I am blank!" Jannat told truthfully.

"You aren't believing what I am saying?!" Shaheer asked with full concern. His eyes never left Jannat's face. While Jannat was not ready to meet his gaze, she was staring blankly at the coffee cup, which was now cold.

Jannat shook her head slightly, "No, it's not like that! I am just.. confused!" Jannat answered, confused with her unclear state of mind.

Shaheer exhaled a sigh and explained, "I had talked to your family and one of the scholar. They told me that, 'A the couple is bonded in nikah until they want to break it. No third person has a say in it!' Jannat, those papers were not the last words. It's us who have to decide."

Jannat looked up at him wearing blank expressions. The movement of Jannat's thick lashes made Shaheer's heart skip few beats. She spoke, "if signing those papers meant nothing, then why he made us sign those papers?!"

"He didn't knew, just the way we didn't knew!" Shaheer answered sweetly.

Rehan! Rehan flashed across Jannat's mind. Her mind couldn't control her tongue, as the words slipped, "What's up with Rehan? Are you st-"

She cut herself when her mobile started ringing, displaying her mother's number. She swiped to accept the call with a Salam.

"Walikum asalam! Beta, where are you?!"

Jannat looked up at Shaheer and prepared herself to speak half truth, "Maa! I am in cafeteria. You need something?!"

"No! I am fine. Meeting timings are about to over, come back so we can head home."

Jannat looked around to search for a clock and her eyes settled on the clock which displayed 8:45. The timings were till 9:00. Jannat produced sound of approval, after which her mother hung up.

"Are you coming with me?!" Jannat asked Shaheer as she placed back her mobile in it's pouch.

"Yeah! I was here to meet uncle. Let's go!" Shaheer answered while getting up.

Jannat took her belongings and her eyes fell on the untouched coffee cup. She grabbed the cup and gulped the coffee, which was cold by now, in one go. And stood up to visit her father.

"By the way, will you- will you come with me?!" Shaheer asked reluctantly.

Jannat gulped, "I- I want to st-stay with him!"

Shaheer nodded and kept the pace with Jannat steps. There were questions in Shaheer's mind. He wanted to ask 'why nobody told him that Jannat came back?', 'why didn't anybody told Jannat about the fact that they were still tied with the strong bond of nikah?'. But his mind knew that she just came yesterday. Maybe, people were too busy with her to tell him. And maybe, it wasn't their place to tell.