Ten Years Later: Christmas With the Crosbys

It was a cold Christmas morning in Canada, but then again, Christmas in Canada tended to be on the cold side. We had a few days off to celebrate the holidays before it was back to the grind for the playoffs. But just because we were taking a break from regularly scheduled games did not mean that we weren't playing pond hockey; it was our tradition. 

"Uncle Geno, pass it to me!" A young boy yelled as he skated up the pond.

"Hold on, Nate, you skate too fast," the tall Russian laughed.

"Uncle Geno, you promised you wouldn't go easy on me this time," the kid complained. He was the spitting image of what Sidney had looked like at seven-years-old. He had dark curly hair and soft brown eyes. He was beginning to get the confidence that Sid had on the ice as he practiced. My son was incredibly talented, and I couldn't wait to watch him in his peewee tournament a few weeks later. His grades in school, however, could use some work.

"Evgeni, just pass it to him," I laughed as I tied Charlotte's new skates. Her curls were lighter than Sid's, like mine were, but she had his nose.

"Mommy, why do you always yell at Daddy's friends?" Charlotte asked and Sid chuckled.

"Because I'm their coach, sweetie, and sometimes I have to be firm so that they listen to me," I explained.

"But you don't yell at Daddy, and he's on the team," my little four-year-old girl was confused.

"She loves me, that's why," Sidney leaned over and kissed me.

"Eww, gross," Nate said as he watched us.

"You no have girlfriend?" Geno asked him.

"Geno, he's seven!" I exclaimed.

"So?" Geno said. Sidney laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, Charlotte, let's go skate with the big kids," Sidney held out his hand to our daughter and she reached up her little gloved fingers to take it. I smiled; I loved watching him with Nathan and Charlotte. Seeing him play with and teach the kids had made me fall in love with him all over again.

I took Charlotte's other hand and we met Evgeni and Nathan in the middle of the pond. "Do you want to take a shot, Char?" Nathan asked. Charlotte didn't need much convincing; she always wanted to do what Nate was doing and go where Nate was going. She loved her big brother and he doted on her; they were so sweet to each other.

Charlotte let go of Sid's and my hands and took Nate's stick, which was way too big for her. It was still a little big for him, too, as he had only just gotten it this morning from Santa. She skated forward clumsily and Geno sent her a soft pass. She stuck her tongue out as she concentrated on keeping it on the blade of the stick. Sidney and I stayed a few feet behind her, watching proudly. She started losing her balance as she approached the net and I leaned forward to chase after her before she fell, but Sid wrapped his arms around my waist, "Hang on, give her a second." We watched as she slipped forward and slid across the ice, taking the puck and the stick with her into the net. We all cheered and she looked up at us from the ice, her little winter hat with a pompom on top slipping down over her brown eyes; Sid's eyes. Sidney and I skated over. He picked her up and set her on his shoulder, "That was an awesome first goal, Charlotte. It was better than mine."

"Really?" She asked, surprised.

"Yep," Sidney nodded. She smiled brightly and I laughed.

"What about you, Mommy? Was it better than yours?"

"Definitely."

She laughed then. God, I loved that sound. It was a small, high, giggle that bubbled up from her belly and could make anyone smile. It was infectious, too, and soon all of our laughs could be heard echoing off the house and out into the surrounding landscape from Sid's obnoxious, yet adorable, laugh, to the cute giggles of the kids, to Uncle Geno's booming chuckle, to my higher giggles.

"Is that grandma and grandpa?" Nate asked excitedly, pointing to the car that had just pulled into the driveway; a few more followed it. It was our family. Sid's parents came with Taylor and her husband, my parents came with Cassie and Beau Bennett, who had gotten married a few years ago, Jason and his wife got out of their car, and Alex got out of his.

We had invited them all over to celebrate Christmas with us because family was the most important part of the holiday.  "I guess we should start on dinner, huh, Sid?" I smiled up at my husband.

"I guess so," he replied. So the five of us  started making our way to them; Sid and I were hand in hand with our little girl on his shoulder and Geno walked beside us with his arm around his godson. It was a Merry Christmas.

Author's Note

Hey, hey, hockey fans! I hope you enjoyed all the warm, fuzzy feels in this chapter; I know I did ❤️ Please vote and comment, one last time, to let me know what you thought. Thank you.

This marks the end of their adventures, and I'm so happy that all of you came along for the ride. It was crazy, and fun, and I loved every minute of it, and I am going to miss it... A lot. You guys have made this so much more fun and I am so grateful for each and every one of you. I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you again. Let's Go Pens!