We Know

The boys were a little hungover the next morning at practice, but Johnston and I were expecting that. We spent an hour and a half on the ice and then went to watch a few plays from last night in the film room. Then I told them what I had been planning on telling them yesterday. "We had a good win yesterday, gentlemen, and while Detroit gave up at the end there, they won't play like that tomorrow. They're going to come out strong and play like they want it."

"How do you know? They basically rolled over and played dead in the third period. What makes you say they'll spring back from that?" Mike asked.

"They know the fans here in Hockeytown expect more from them, Babcock expects more from them and they want the Cup. Tomorrow and every game after that we need to prove that we want it more," I said.

"Well, we do want it more," Sidney said.

"Currently, I want some aspirin," Olli muttered.

"Play like you want it," I challenged them.

Despite my warnings and encouragement, we lost the next game. We were all disappointed and before I went back to the hotel, I stopped to see my parents, who had been watching the game from Hockeytown Cafe.

"Hey, Erin," my mom hugged me, knowing I was upset about the loss.

"Hi, Mom."

"They played well," my dad said.

"I know," I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. We had lost our lead in the series and that made me a little nervous.

"At least you'll be going back to play on home ice; you'll have your fans to support you, and the boys will bounce back," my dad rubbed my shoulder to comfort me.

"They're trying so hard for you," my mom smiled and her eyes got a little teary.

"What do you mean, Mom?"

"Sidney told us how he was trying to motivate them to win for you because this is your first year. That boy is so sweet," my mom wiped a few tears from her eyes and my dad wrapped his arm around her.

"I know, Geno told me what he said," I smiled thinking of Sidney. "I love him," I said quietly, getting emotional, too.

My parents hugged me, "We know. And he loves you, too," my dad said.

"And why shouldn't he? We did a good job with her, she's perfect," my mom said.

I laughed and wiped my happy tears away, "Thanks, Mom."

"Of course sweetie. When are you heading back?" She replied.

"Tonight," I said.

"We need to get you back to the hotel!" My mom exclaimed as they hurried me out the door to the car.

The plane ride was loud as the guys tried to get their minds off the loss. They occupied themselves doing anything from sleeping to reading to playing PSP. I sat with Geno and watched as Marc and Sid teamed up to play against Ian and Brandon. My eyes never strayed far from Sidney and I couldn't stop smiling. His eyes flicked up to mine and he grinned.

"Ah! Sid! What are you doing! You're gonna get us both killed!" Marc yelled, startling everyone on the plane. Sidney and I blushed and Geno reached over to take the game out of his hands.

"No worry, Flower. Geno here now. I am score." Sidney and I laughed and watched as Marc and Evgeni beat Brandon and Ian.

"I'm disappointed in you two," I turned to Cole and Sutter, "Way to represent Team USA."

"We'd have beat Team Canada over there if the Russian hadn't stepped in!" Ian exclaimed.

"Yeah, if Marc hadn't noticed your distraction techniques we'd have won," Sutter shook his head.