Bet On It

Erin's Point of View

The Western Conference Finals went to seven games. The team watched it in the film room with Johnston, Robert and I. Robert's season was over, and he didn't have anywhere he had to be, so he came back with us and stayed with Beau. He promised Johnston that he wouldn't be a nuisance and Johnston let him come to our practices.

The previous games in the Chicago-Dallas series had resulted in a few multiple overtime games. Those three had gone to Chicago. Dallas had won the other three that were finished in regulation. It seemed clear that Chicago had more stamina and would win again if the game exceeded regulation time, but nothing was certain, and that's why we played the games.

While watching the game would be a learning experience for us as we studied our potential opponents, it was also fun. Johnston and I made popcorn once I'd convinced everyone that it didn't go against their diet restrictions because it was a whole grain, not that the guys needed much persuasion to eat. We lounged in the film room and listened as Doc Emrick discussed the rest of the series, and us, before the game. Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin were interviewed before puck drop. Both of them came off as being confident bordering on cocky, but you could see the desperation in Kaner's eyes.

"Chicago," Evgeni said.

"Yeah, I agree," Sutter said.

I shook my head, "I wouldn't be so sure."

Sutter looked confused, "Why not? Kaner's usually cocky, he's foc-"

"Exactly. He's usually cocky, but he isn't. He's scared. He doesn't want to fuck up now," I replied.

"Patrick Kane doesn't get scared," Robert said.

"Okay, so maybe scared is the wrong word, but he's definitely looking a bit worried. He wants this and he's going to fight, but he's worried Dallas has an edge."

"Dallas is at home. It's not the United Center and there won't be any Chelsea Dagger tonight," Sidney said.

"My money's still on Chicago," Sutter said.

"How much are you putting down?" I asked.

"Hundred bucks?"

"You're on," I replied.

"Alright, alright, we're about to see who'll be $100 richer; game's starting," Johnston said, shaking his head at us.

"Betting against Suttsy?" Robert whispered, "You'd better be ready to pay; he always wins. I learned that early."

"It's $100 my coaching salary can afford, and he's the one going down," I replied, "Suttsy and Sid usually agree on these things. They're disagreeing on this and Sidney's hockey instincts are the best I've ever seen; I'm confident in my choice."

"When you're out one hundred bucks, don't come crying to me," Robert shrugged and turned his attention to the screen.

"You want to bet?" I was feeling very confident. Robert's gaze slid back to me, he was tempted. "Come on Bortuzzo, or are you going to shrink from a challenge?"

"We'll bet about something else."

"Shoot," I didn't care what we bet on, I just wanted to prove him wrong.

"Another hundred on the game winning goal. Pick one player for each team. If you're right with one of them, you get the money, if I'm right, I get the money."

"And if neither of us is right?"

"We keep our cash," Robert replied.

"Okay, cool. Who are you picking?"