The Beginning of the End

Dallas came to town the next day. We managed to stay out of their way for the most part, and they stayed out of ours. I liked it that way; I didn't want anyone fighting before the series even began.

Sidney and I walked into Consol a few hours before the game would start. The Dallas Stars were in the hallway warming up with a soccer ball before they hit the ice. Sidney moved closer to me when they looked up as we walked in. The ball fell out of the air and bounced away from the circle as the players' attention turned to us. Jamie Benn stepped into our path flanked by Tyler Seguin and Jason Spezza.

"Good evening, Crosby, Coach...?"

"Fitzpatrick," I replied tersely. I had been trying so hard to avoid them.

"Good evening, Coach Fitzpatrick," Jamie Benn continued. All three of the guys in front of us were taller than Sidney and I could tell that they were sizing him up. Tyler was looking at me, a small smirk growing on his face. I raised my eyebrow at him, challenging him to do something. "Howdy," he drawled.

"Hello, Seguin," I said coolly, "Benn, Spezza."

"Aww, now I don't feel special," Tyler pouted.

"She doesn't like you," Jason smirked.

"Sure she does, everyone likes me," Tyler said.

"I don't," Sidney muttered so that only I could hear him.

"Well, Jamie did just win me some money," I teased, feeling more comfortable.

"Did I now?" Jamie smirked at Tyler and crossed his arms. I didn't answer immediately and Jamie looked at me expectantly.

"I made a bet with one of my friends about who would score the winning goal in your last game."

"And you picked this asshole?" Tyler asked, jerking his thumb at Jamie.

"I picked him and Patrick Sharp," I replied.

"Why not me?" Tyler complained.

"I already told you, she doesn't like you." Spezza said, "Ain't that right?"

"It doesn't matter," I replied.

"Wait, wait, wait. You picked me and Sharp?" Jamie demanded.

"Why does everyone complain about me picking Sharp?" I demanded.

"He sucks," Jason said.

"He scored," I shrugged.

"I scored a hat trick," Tyler said, looking at me under his eyelashes.

"Congrats," I replied sarcastically.

"Thanks," Tyler said brightly and Sidney and I laughed.

"Come on, hot stuff," I said to him, "Let's go."

"Yes, ma'am," Sidney said at the same as Tyler said, "Whatever you say, babe."

"Fuck off, Seguin," I replied. The Stars hooted and laughed at his rejection and Sidney smirked.

"I'll still score a goal for you," Seguin promised.

"Oh, you don't have to do that. That's what this one's for," I smirked and pulled Sidney down to kiss me, right there in front of them. That surprised Tyler into silence and Sidney and I walked off towards our locker room.

Johnston and I spoke to the team before the game started, "They're fast, they're strong and they're aggressive."

"They're also goony and maybe feeling a bit provoked right now," I added.